Thread: 4K over HDMI from Red Dragon ??

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    I like the idea of a 2nd generation Broadcast Module that adds an HDMI2 spigot. The quad 3G SDI can be converted to HDMI easily enough, but the converter just adds cost/power consumption/etc.

With so many lower end UHD/4K cameras offering live UHD/4K monitoring out of the box...

Cheers - #19
    Agree! Let's see this modular architecture actually give us newer technology faster!!
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Fewer people would buy the SDI module...

I was looking at Jeff's comment on the +1 module and such and got to thinking....... Well My Pro I/O module doesn't need to be attached to the HDMI port on the the camera. I guess the Pro I/O has it's own Debayering thing a ma jiggy inside it! I really wish they would put something like that in a module (4K output... even is it is slightly compressed:)

Yep, the Pro I/O module does its own de-bayer and downsample to 1080p/2K. Also why it's a $3750 module. The 4K Broadcast module does the same, and outputs at 4K/ UHD in addition to 2K/1080p. I think we're all just saying it's unfortunate that an HDMI output was not included and it would be nice to see an updated model that has HDMI 2.x incorporated. They could definitely make an HDMI 2.x 4K output module and wile I don't want to speculate on price, I think it would be cheaper than the 4K Broadcast module and possibly more in line with the Pro I/O or even cheaper than it; as they could probably sell a lot of these.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

I'd buy one.
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

Jarek Zabczynski
    Director / Editor / Cinematographer

Weapon 8K | www.jarek.com | WE'LL BE ALRIGHT (Music Video) | BAJO EL SOL (Music Video)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Zabczynski View Post
    I'd buy one.
    Same here

The Broadcast module is a very welcome addition to the arsenal just as it is. SDI is the proper professional interconnect. To be clear - I am not complaining.

That said, when investing $7K in a module for live UHD output it would sure be nice to have a couple of HDMI 2.x ports on there in addition to the quad SDI to accommodate a variety of configurations and directly connect to the many HDMI only UHD devices on the market.

If further investment in Broadcast Module development is untenable due to limited sales forecasts I get that - just noting that it might find a larger audience with the HDMI taps, though it might still fall short of reasonable ROI.

Cheers - #19

I do wonder if it would be as simple to flash the camera with new software to be able to DeBayer and compress to 4k ProRes(or maybe even 5k ProRes 4444xqfor Scarlet-MX owners)...

Also, I imagine that if it was a +1 Module could record a compressed signal - on-top of it's normal RAW, that would be a huge time saver for Productions... Basically if the +1 Module could apply LUT + Record Native Codec = instant dailies(and go strait to Post)
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant

Timing in relationship to product development, cameras, and modules has been a bit of the problem here.

HDMI 2.0 was finalized not too long ago. The 4K Broadcast Module and obviously the Dragon brain were in the pipe before the spec and hardware was finalized as well.

While I wouldn't put it past Red to design something with HDMI 2.0 included in a module, I imagine it would likely happen in the next brain or even possibly through a camera upgrade itself.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Just to remind you of something what RED previewed a while ago: tethered recording over Gig-E. There is lots of potential, with live monitoring and streaming in full-res(!) over a laptop being one of the possible applications. Transcoding to 4k on a computer, with ROCKET-power and realtime-colorgrading? Should be doable. ;)

Yeah, thats not a module, but maybe a even better solution for some scenarios.

I hope RED gives access to that via their SDK.
    Maik Mueller || http://www.maikmueller.art
    RED Scarlet-X/DRAGON #1388
    Zeiss Otus 28/1.4 & 55/1.4 & 85/1.4