Thread: 4K over HDMI from Red Dragon ??

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 4K over HDMI from Red Dragon ?? 
    I'm posting this here because it seems to be a place where this type of question could be relevant.

I finished a job using a sony f55 camera and production supplied a Dell 4K monitor which we were able to easily hook up to the camera's HDMI output and view UHD live.

My question is: why can't Red implement HDMI 1.4a or 2.0 features in the Dragon brain HDMI output connector? Red Ray and the 4K Pro module don't cut it for ease of use, setup and cost.

With the release of consumer 4k cameras like the GH4 I have been wondering the same thing. RED is releasing a 4K broadcast module but the price is $6.950,- and it only connects via 4 SDI connectors and adds bulk to the camera.

One thing I can imagine is that as the camera shoots in formats larger and smaller than 4k, debayering and scaling in realtime would be a challenge.

A 4k hdmi module would be awesome. We just need a 4k paralinx too.

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Bakewell View Post
    It's coming. Qualcomm already spun a snapdragon based PCB - WITH LTE - http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/10/...eaming-dongle/
    Mark L. Pederson

Quote Originally Posted by Troy Bakewell View Post
    +1

New Movie and showreel in www.camlight.nl
    Robert M. Berger NSC
    Director of Photography
    Red DMSC2 8K S35 HELIUM "ED" 002254
    www.camlight.nl
    NEW Fiction showreel https://vimeo.com/205519787
    Showreel https://vimeo.com/97829046
    https://www.instagram.com/robert_m_berger_nsc/
    Amsterdam
    The Netherlands

Tricky thing with the RED DSMC system is that full RAW data is transferred within the camera and amongst the various modules. So a 4K HDMI module will still need to take the full resolution RAW stream and de-bayer and scale to a 4K image before encoding and sending out the HDMI. It makes the system infinitely configurable, but doesn't lend itself well to making affordable modules for common outputs. Hence why the +1 and other cheaper modules need to connect to the existing monitor outputs on the brain.

I was hoping that 4K HDMI output would come with the Dragon upgrade as part of the swapping of necessary components, but it seems that is something that couldn't be incorporated before the Dragon specification was finalized and readied for production.

I really wish the 4K Broadcast module also had an HDMI 2.0 port on it. Once again, HDMI 2.0 wasn't a final spec, nor were there any proper chipsets in sight, when the 4K Broadcast module was ready to go from prototyping to production.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Well they should make one now. ;)
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

I like the idea of a 2nd generation Broadcast Module that adds an HDMI2 spigot. The quad 3G SDI can be converted to HDMI easily enough, but the converter just adds cost/power consumption/etc.

With so many lower end UHD/4K cameras offering live UHD/4K monitoring out of the box...

Cheers - #19

Yeah its pretty crazy I can pipe 4k out of my GH4 that we bought for 1500.00 but can't get it out of my RED or anyone else without dropping some serious coin.
    www.ryanhamblin.com

BrainStemDigital production|post|vfx
    info@brainstem.tv
    www.brainstem.tv
    follow us on twitter: http://www.twitter.com/brainstemdigit

Gear list: Rokinon 14mm T/3.1, Rokinon 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm T/1.5, Pentax 90mmLS, Pentax 165mm f/2.8 various ND and filtration

They need to make their own proprietary 7" recorder/monitor (Atmos Shogun) that can carry a lut and then they rule the raw and the editing codec world, or the Dp and Producer world.
    Paul E. McCarthy
    Www.paulmccarthydp.com