Thread: What's the current RED camera on "ENG" style rig option?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What's the current RED camera on "ENG" style rig option? 
    I own a scarlet,

I am considering a getting a rig + view finder - which cost me same as buying FS7 KIT.

Here is the question, is there a perfect Alexa style handheld rigging option, which cost me around 3-4 k?

In this case, I don't count Easy rig. If you have your option, please post some photos :)

Mantis I hear good things about... There are a lot of decent rigs and a 7Q would make a great monitor/on board recorder too..
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

Have you looked at the Zacuto Universal VCT plate? It seems like they've gotten a lot of people to get excited about it & getting your rig balanced right on your shoulder. I took a look at a pre-production model months ago & really want to buy one, just haven't had the need / cash to justify it yet.

Also Zacuto's new EVF looks interesting as it seems like it out performs similar EVFs.

I don't think you need to spend anywhere near that much.

It took me a while to get a hand held set up I was happy with, but now that I have, I am very happy.

Th trick is getting the camera over your shoulder. You need a viewfinder mount that puts the viewfinder forward of the body. I love the tilta VF mount. It's $300ish bucks and does exactly what you need it to do. The VF mount and anyones 15mm LWS hand grips and you are good to go. I personally prefer no shoulder pad. It makes hand held to tripod transitions faster. I usually just let the camera sit on my shoulder. if I am shooting hand held all day, I have a grip fold up a piece of duvateen and lay that on my shoulder as a pad. I used to use one of those hand held shoulder pads that strap on to you, but I found them to be too much of a pain in the ass.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Love View Post
    Have you looked at the Zacuto Universal VCT plate? It seems like they've gotten a lot of people to get excited about it & getting your rig balanced right on your shoulder. I took a look at a pre-production model months ago & really want to buy one, just haven't had the need / cash to justify it yet.

Also Zacuto's new EVF looks interesting as it seems like it out performs similar EVFs.
    If you want to watch some funny videos go on Zacuto website and watch the owners hype the VCT as the second coming.

There are soooo many options out there. Cheap ones work just as well as the expensive ones. It all depends on what works for you! Head to NAB or Cinegear to see what you are in to.

The shape of the camera prevents that unfortunately. The box is too tall and the connectors out the back on the very bottom seal its fate.
    To balance the camera correctly the front of the camera should be flush with your chest. This way the camera will balance out the lens weight forward... I'm pretty sure the weapon will allow that..
    Also to prevent squatting by the operator to get the proper perspective on the subject the bottom of the lens has to line up with the top of the shoulder.
    All ENG cameras are designed that way...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gardner View Post
    I don't think you need to spend anywhere near that much.

It took me a while to get a hand held set up I was happy with, but now that I have, I am very happy.

Th trick is getting the camera over your shoulder. You need a viewfinder mount that puts the viewfinder forward of the body. I love the tilta VF mount. It's $300ish bucks and does exactly what you need it to do. The VF mount and anyones 15mm LWS hand grips and you are good to go. I personally prefer no shoulder pad. It makes hand held to tripod transitions faster. I usually just let the camera sit on my shoulder. if I am shooting hand held all day, I have a grip fold up a piece of duvateen and lay that on my shoulder as a pad. I used to use one of those hand held shoulder pads that strap on to you, but I found them to be too much of a pain in the ass.

Nick
    Can you post a picture of your rig? Preferably while you are wearing it.

Thanks!

Will do my best to do so tomorrow.

Nick

Hard to take selfies with a camera on your shoulder, no mirror in the shop. I think you get the idea. If I was running around doc style, i'd have a chroizel follow focus up, if I was doing narrative, I would have a cine gears or a bartech (from my point of view I much prefer the cinegears because it's lighter and less crap to deal with-so far my first AC hasn't complained), and a wireless video transmitter on the back of the battery and that's it.
    Attached Images