Thread: Westcott Ice Light versus newcomer Genaray SpectroLED SP-LR Light

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Those look exactly like the Genarays with another name added. My Genaray's work very well.
    Keith B. Plummer
    [url]https://www.plumgood.productions
    Zeiss CZ's Zeiss Primes

thought Id share this, I shot this the other night with just two Genarays as light source, aperture was 5.6 so they pump out quite a bit of light with a lovely quality to it, using them on the weekend during the day to see how they can be utilised as fill on location during daylight:

Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematographer
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.blacksun-productions.com
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench

Senior Member Stephen Strangways's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelan View Post
    Are you seeing flicker when running it off the battery versus AC as well? Reason I ask is the battery would be direct current, regardless of power level, so there should never be a flicker, versus alternating current which could introduce it. Some of the various articles I've seen online have mentioned this so it made me curious as to your experience.
    LEDs that are dimmed with pulse width modulation will flicker, regardless of AC or DC power supply. You'll see this with everything from LED lights (check out the video:)
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...gopro-iphone-a
    To LED televisions:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker-free#Prevalence

I shoot on a set that has an LED HDTV, and we can't dim the TV even single one step down from 100% or it noticeably flickers on camera. The more you lower it, the worse the flickering is. I accidentally discovered that the motion smoothing mode (120Hz interpolation) causes the set to dim, without introducing flicker.
    And while good-quality LEDs can be dimmed without flickering because they are constant current, with cheap ones you're probably better off with ones where rows or columns can be entirely switched off for dimming, so you don't run into PWM flicker from cheap circuitry.

I just got my Knock-offs of the Genarays, actually they look exact the same. Stunned by the quality for the price...
    From what I have tested so far, (Quick test) they do not flicker when dimmed and I don't see any flicker till 100FPS. (That is the highest framerate I tested).

I'll will test it later a bit more, and give you guys a quick review. From my first impression... Bargain. Think I order another 2
    Epic-X #7575 - Raven (Preordered) - Letus Helix #0001 (Seal Team) - DjI Ronin - DJI Phantom 2 - Zeiss Cp.2 21/35/50/85 - Leica-R 24/35/50/60/90/180 - MYT Works Level 5 - Macpro 2013 X 2 - MBpro Retina - Z800

I bought a Generay Light, for a documentary purpose, and I'm amazed by its potential! I showed it to some of my DP friends, and they loved it! They even bought one each!
    I felt that the CRI is a bit weak on the Daylight, but you can add a CTB to balance it, same goes for the Tungsten. Here's my view on it:

It's a bit harsh, it's best to diffuse with a bounce, or even with a frost! It's actually powerful, and people don't expect that! It doesn't look like a light, and it's also really portable. I went to the Amazon Rainforest with it, and I was charging it with a V-Mount Battery (the small IDX). It has a power input, so I got from LANPARTS a D-Tap to Power AC cable (the one for BlackMagic Cameras) and it was working soooo nicely! Thing is, when it's plugged in, it has an extra-stop of light coming out, which it nice depending the situation. Also, the casing for the Generay is small (and light) enough so I could carry it with me strapped on the side of my backpack when I was travelling there.

I would modify it a bit, like adding clamps (like bike clamps?) straight on-to the light, and find a way to make it a portable book-light. Because right now, even it's a LED light, it's still a bit too harsh. I'm also buying a gorilla pod to put it everywhere I want on the ground, again, it's super-mobile. You can dim it from 100% (120% with power plugg-in) to 10%! Only thing I wish was already made with the light a wrist-strap; when I was in the forest, I was sweating a lot, and sometimes when I had the light in my hand, I feared it may slip from my hand with the humidity, etc.

I say it's a great documentary light, or if you need a quick back light or for close-ups, let's say. I haven't test it on fiction shoots, but I guess I can see great use in small locations like cars, etc. Can't wait to use it again!

Here's a small print-screen of one scene I used it during my 15 days doc' in the Amazon Rainforest!

[IMG][/IMG]

thanks Hans for the hint on the DTAP. Good to know I can charge it from there, and as extra the 120% output when plugged in!
    Epic-X #7575 - Raven (Preordered) - Letus Helix #0001 (Seal Team) - DjI Ronin - DJI Phantom 2 - Zeiss Cp.2 21/35/50/85 - Leica-R 24/35/50/60/90/180 - MYT Works Level 5 - Macpro 2013 X 2 - MBpro Retina - Z800

Just received my knock off WOW! Getting ready to order 4 more.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick E. Coker View Post
    Just received my knock off WOW! Getting ready to order 4 more.
    Hey Patrick, how is it? Can you post some pipctures, or a quick review? Did you get the Genray one?

Bought a knockoff for $160 on ebay

No other light except the wand (except on last one whee you see the glow stick).

Shot with two of the cheap ripoff Icelights on an FS7. Ignore the banding in the shadows

password: bibendum

----------------------------------------------------------

2018 Reel

Website
    Instagram