Thread: The Very Last time I will ever order from B&H

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome Will View Post
    Rivai,

Couldnt have said it better. "Ish" happens...sometimes you have to move on. But I'm glad he got his money back.
    Yep, that's the point. Stefan got it at the end. So case closed.

B&H is no better or worse than a lot of "box shipping" companies out there. I've generally had good luck with them, but the reality is that you get much better support from a local dealer that might charge you a little more money. At least with the local dealers, they'll take care of you if there's a defect, if you want to trade up to a better model, or if you need help figuring out how to make it work. With the "box movers," all you get is a great price.

Having said that: I will use B&H if it's a commodity kind of item that doesn't really matter, or if it's something I just can't get anywhere else. I bought a Panasonic Broadcast BT300 HD Plasma display from B&H a year ago, and it was terrific -- zero issues, new stock, fast shipping, half list price. But if it's a video card or a processor or something that might need some setup, no question I'll go with a local dealer who can give me some real support.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

This has very little to do with me being angry with them, and more on principle. The fact that I waited on hold for almost an hour with a manager that never answered the phone, and I spent the entire morning on the phone with with various operators that could care less about helping a customer in a case in which they clearly messed up. Again, there are many other companies that do the same thing they do, and if a company cares more about saving face and flat out lying to a customer over resolving the issue, then I will not do business with them, not out of anger but out of principle. I have no reason to calm down, as I'm not angry, just disappointed with being lied to.
    Director of Photography/VFX -Scherperel Cine LLC
    http://www.stefandp.com.com

Since we are talking about questionable customer service... I have a question.
    I bought a product (let's say a smallHD monitor bundle). If the item arrived with a defect, is it normal for the buyer to pay the shipping back to them for servicing ? Is this normal practice ? If it is it shouldn't be.
    I mean on top of being inconvenienced, having to drive and post the package, wait a few weeks for replacement, and I have to pay also ? And since I'm in Europe, the shipping could be easily 30 or 50 $.
    I say it's the company's fault, or better said their responsibility (since manufacturing defects happens) so they should pay.
    Red One MX #10225

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian_A View Post
    I bought a product (let's say a smallHD monitor bundle). If the item arrived with a defect, is it normal for the buyer to pay the shipping back to them for servicing ? Is this normal practice ? If it is it shouldn't be.
    I mean on top of being inconvenienced, having to drive and post the package, wait a few weeks for replacement, and I have to pay also ? And since I'm in Europe, the shipping could be easily 30 or 50 $.
    I say it's the company's fault, or better said their responsibility (since manufacturing defects happens) so they should pay.
    Legally this just comes down to the contract you signed when you purchased the item. Most sellers specify FOB Origin which means that the second FedEx accepts pickup it's now the buyer's responsibility for all damage and return. The seller is then only legally required to provide and ship you a replacement but not to pay for return costs. If neither is specified IANAL but I believe liability for safe shipping falls on the person who paid for the shipping (Almost always the buyer). Now morally speaking and from a "good customer service" standpoint--I say it's on the shipper unless the buyer explicitly refused to pay a surcharge for insurance. In which case I would say all damage from shipping is the buyer's responsibility. However SmallHD's terms state in pretty cut and dry terms:
    The customer shall be responsible for paying shipping charges required to return products to SmallHD for warranty repair.
    The other exception is when they ship the *wrong* item. If they ship you something you didn't order you're under no legal or moral obligation to pay to send it back to them since they sent you something you didn't request or pay for. In that case there is no way for the seller to weasel out--they're obligated to pay for return of their 'lost' property.

I just ordered something from B&H and received it timely via the free shipping/Post office delivery.

That said, forewarned is fore armed.

Thanks for posting.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Quote Originally Posted by Gavin Greenwalt View Post
    Most sellers specify FOB Origin which means that the second FedEx accepts pickup it's now the buyer's responsibility for all damage and return. The seller is then only legally required to provide and ship you a replacement but not to pay for return costs.
    I guessed that this is the standard practice, but how is this fair ? If the manufacturer ships you a defective item, how come is considered normal for the buyer to suddenly pay extra and wait extra compared to his neighbour who got a good item ?
    I don't get it.
    Last edited by Sebastian_A; 10-26-2014 at 09:10 AM.
    Red One MX #10225

Senior Member Donald MJ Anderson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian_A View Post
    Adorama will pay shipping back as long as you get paperwork prior. At least that what the website says. I will be contacting them about something I have to return tomorrow so I will see if they are good to their word.
    Red One #3**
    Epic-W

For whatever it's worth, I've been a B&H customer for years, and have found them very convenient. Generous return policy, easy exchanges, etc. I personally have no complaints at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Scherperel View Post
    I've always had great service from B&H as well, that's why I've been a customer for over 10 years. . the issue is when their system fails. Honestly it was a simple issue. I placed an order for an item, instead of the item shipping directly from B&H, the item drop ships from the actual manufacturer. it says this while ordering. The issue came in between the B&H and sending the drop ship order. B&H claimed that they sent the order several times to the company, but never got a response, and basically left it at that. For the last 10 days or so, B&H has been closed because of a holiday, I can respect that, but they never even attempted to resolve the issue. I call the other company directly, and they tell me that they have not received any notification from B&H, and in fact they have the item in stock and I can order it directly without issue. I tell them to hold off and give B&H another 2 days to resolve the issue. B&H again tell me that they cannot contact the company and the only thing they can do is wait. They can't refund my money because the other company has the money, which makes no sense, but that's what they tell me.
    It is obvious we owe you an apology and an explanation. I am very very sorry for this unfortunate situation, for our less-than ideal handling of it, and for the inconvenience and dissatisfaction we caused. In particular you should not have been left dangling on the line and should have had the ability to escalate your problem when it is appropriate for you to do so. This was not handled with our usual friction-free style, as your prior experiences no doubt should confirm.

In reply to others here - I want to be sure there is no confusion -- this had and has NOTHING to do with free shipping at all. Nothing.

I am particularly sorry there was or is any confusion about the ordering of this item. Our product information page says:

This item is usually Drop Shipped from the MFR/Distributor within 3-7 business days (subject to availability). Your order will be charged at the time of placing the order with the vendor. Item is non-cancelable and non-returnable.

In this case we order from our distributor, not from the manufacturer. We pay them for the item when we place the order and generally we cannot get a refund if the item is returned or if the order is cancelled, even before it's shipped to us or to the customer. That's why they're generally non-cancelable and non-returnable and why we said the other company had the money.

I addressed this with the manufacturer and with the distributor from whom we ordered. The manufacturer informed me, "I actually spoke to this person directly and I told him the backorder situation about how we owed B&H many products and that we were just catching up with all the shipments at that time." I do not know if their delay contributed to this, but it is unfortunate nonetheless.

Our distributor's CEO said:

B&H placed the order with us on 9/29/14. We then placed our order with (the manufacturer) on 9/29/14. They had indicated that the item was on Back Order. We notified B&H the item was on Back order with the manufacturer. B&H cancelled the order with us 10/22/14, the item arrived here in the afternoon of the same day. I apologize for the delays in getting you this item in a timely manner, and truthfully, we have never experienced a delay from (the manufacturer) which has taken this long.

FWIW, we did cancel this order and Stefan received the requested refund.

As an aside -- I noted that others here were kind enough to speak well of us and of their experiences with us. Thank you. I am grateful.

Once again -- Stefan deserves and now has our apology.

Henry Posner
    B&H Photo-Video
    Last edited by Henry Posner; 10-27-2014 at 08:33 AM.