Thread: The Very Last time I will ever order from B&H

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 The Very Last time I will ever order from B&H 
    Besides working directly with RED and several other companies, I have a long time history with B&H photo, over 10 years and probably 20-30K in gear purchased from them.
    My last order, will be my last. As I am sitting here on hold dealing with a misplaced drop ship item that I ordered through them almost a month ago, I can now see what they think about their customers.
    I realize mistakes get made, but to then just say, "we don't know where your order is, but we are keeping your money anyways and you cannot cancel your order?????"
    Really? well my credit card company says differently. And to think to lose a customer after 10 years and thousands of dollars over a $130 cable, because nobody there can pick up a phone and call the manufacture directly? That's just sad!

#RantOver!!!!
    Director of Photography/VFX -Scherperel Cine LLC
    http://www.stefandp.com.com

Weird. I've had great experiences. When I ordered a set of NDs this year the case was defective and I asked for a replacement. They mailed out a replacement item same day and said I could keep the broken one.

I've bought a lot of stuff from B&H, had to return a couple things, and never had any problems... hope you can get your problems worked out.

Ive had the same issues with filmtools. It really sucks that those sorts of things happen. sorry man :(
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

Wow. Knock on wood, this is just a one off. I buy boat loads from there.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

They often do this thing where they offer free shipping...then they ship out via UPS or FEDex. They have this special deal with them that when they arrive in your town/city, UPS (or FEDex) transfer your gear to the local USPS for delivery. The problem is that they often don't require any paperwork, signature, tracking number...or any other information from the USPS. They can literally just drop a bunch of packages off on their back door. No transfer of items paperwork. I have had many things lost this way. BH's response was...we don't know where it is.

2 times they gave me a tracking number. When I called UPS to track it...they said it was strange because the tracking number said they dropped it off on a Sunday...and the USPS was closed.

When I contacted BH, they said...sorry...you'll have to take it up with your post office. My response was "thats not my job. Its not even my job to get these items here...its yours." She told me I needed to pursue it with the USPS and it was out of their hands.

There ya have it.

2 times....all my items magically disappeared. Never got them. Lost out. No tracking number. No explanation. So solution. Bad business. Never....ever....eveeeeer...get free shipping with them. This can happen.

If you pay for shipping...often its fine.

I've always had great service from B&H as well, that's why I've been a customer for over 10 years. . the issue is when their system fails. Honestly it was a simple issue. I placed an order for an item, instead of the item shipping directly from B&H, the item drop ships from the actual manufacturer. it says this while ordering. The issue came in between the B&H and sending the drop ship order. B&H claimed that they sent the order several times to the company, but never got a response, and basically left it at that. For the last 10 days or so, B&H has been closed because of a holiday, I can respect that, but they never even attempted to resolve the issue. I call the other company directly, and they tell me that they have not received any notification from B&H, and in fact they have the item in stock and I can order it directly without issue. I tell them to hold off and give B&H another 2 days to resolve the issue. B&H again tell me that they cannot contact the company and the only thing they can do is wait. They can't refund my money because the other company has the money, which makes no sense, but that's what they tell me.
    At this point I ask to speak to a manager, wait on hold for 45 min, and nothing. I hang up call again. Half way through explaining my issue, I get mysteriously disconnected. I call back again. Finally I am told that my money has been refunded for the item, but this is after being on the phone with them all morning. Basically they lied that they couldn't cancel my order and refund my money, because after a little persistence, it was no problem.
    Again, i understand mistakes happen, especially when dealing with large volume orders, but when a company gives you a runaround for 3 hours over a $130 cable, and then blatantly lies to your face about it... that's when I call it quits!

These items were not under free shipping, I paid for 3 day service, it's been almost a month!

Update: Ordered directly from other company, within 20 minutes already have a tracking number. how hard was that B&H?

I don't like B&H much either. I experienced some rude customer support when I tried to cancel an item that I pre-ordered.

I know the item won't ship for at least another month, don't tell me it is a "non-cancellable item."

Solar System Studio / Havana, Cuba