Thread: Low cost Resolve 11 panel

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Low cost Resolve 11 panel 
    A basic Resolve 11 panel at USD 700. Any user reviews/testimonials?
    http://www.oxygentec.com/products/251/node

Taking into account an absence of desire on part of BMD to provide decent mapping for better panels, like Elements or MC Color, this panels actually makes a lot of sense. Why spend more money, if a lesser panel can perform almost as well? Built quality and trackballs feel is still an unknown quantity, but if it's similar to the Wave, not a bad deal...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Looks interesting John. Though i can't find any supplier. All in chinese! If you can post a review of someone using it would be very helpful.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Epic-X #6700 (Aquila)

Note you can pick up a used MC Color panel for under a grand if you shop around.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

I love using a pannel it feels more natural, like using a WACOM tablet in photoshop. But I HATE my Avid Artist Color pannel, it connects to resolve 30-40% on the first try and the support for it sucks. So I don't recommend it.
    Tommy Chase
    EPIC Dragon "KUBLIA" #06402
    ------------
    www.tomchasefilms.com
    www.deathcheaters.org

I use MC Color for over 4 years and it connects to Resolve 100% of the time and it is rock solid. I recommend MC Color over any other third party panels, as it has the better mapping, than Elements, better ergonomics, than Wave and it's cheaper, than JL Cooper.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

I like the functionality of the WAVE panel but hate the shitty ball bearings for the tracking balls that lock up of you don't use the panel for a few days. For that reason alone I would be willing to look at something else.

Looks like the Chinese panel weighs 5kg so unless they put a brick inside it might actually be a solid build.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chase View Post
    I love using a pannel it feels more natural, like using a WACOM tablet in photoshop. But I HATE my Avid Artist Color pannel, it connects to resolve 30-40% on the first try and the support for it sucks. So I don't recommend it.
    I understand that sentiment, and I used trackballs (and before that, sliders and joysticks) for many years. But I would also point out that some of the most successful DI colorists in the world use a mouse and keyboard approach. Of course, the colorists I'm talking about work primarily on Lustre, which has an interface (and a feel to that interface) that works well with that approach. Resolve (and Baselight, for that matter) has never been particularly mouse (or trackpad) friendly, so the on screen widgets don't lend themselves to that approach nearly as well. In Lustre, the widgets in question are a bit larger, and the "gearing" is different, so you can make very fine adjustments in a very fluid way using either a mouse or a trackpad. Not to mention the many button driven functions in that interface.

My point is that the reliance on trackballs is a learned behavior. It has the advantage of letting you change multiple parameters simultaneously (particularly helpful if you work video style, not as necessary if you work "DI" style, using primarily exposure and contrast) and, if implemented correctly, a "smoothness" that lets you "feel" your way through the process. However, with programs other than the only one ever discussed here (i.e., Resolve) there are other options, and, in fact, some of the best colorists in the industry use a different approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Chase View Post
    I love using a panel it feels more natural, like using a WACOM tablet in photoshop. But I HATE my Avid Artist Color pannel, it connects to resolve 30-40% on the first try and the support for it sucks. So I don't recommend it.
    The support does suck, but Jake is right: the Avid Artist color panel is actually pretty reliable once you get the ethernet connection nailed down. The Eucon software is a little bit buggy, but I just finished working 60 hours on a project and think I had maybe 10 minutes of problems with the panel that entire time. 98% reliable is a pretty good average.

Even the big $30K daVinci panels are known to fail on occasion -- I've had them go out quite a few times when I work at companies who use them. Nothing's perfect.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Los Angeles, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    The support does suck, but Jake is right: the Avid Artist color panel is actually pretty reliable once you get the ethernet connection nailed down. The Eucon software is a little bit buggy, but I just finished working 60 hours on a project and think I had maybe 10 minutes of problems with the panel that entire time. 98% reliable is a pretty good average.

Even the big $30K daVinci panels are known to fail on occasion -- I've had them go out quite a few times when I work at companies who use them. Nothing's perfect.
    I've never had a single second of my Tangent Element panels not working. I tried the Artist Color panel before I got the Element and had nothing but problems. And I noticed there's Log controls on the Element now with Resolve 11.1.