Thread: HotLink or Redlink Bridge

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 HotLink or Redlink Bridge 
    I’ve pre-ordered the Offhollywood Hotlink, but I’m now wondering if I perhaps should have gone with the Redlink Bridge. They cost much the same. Hotlink: $450, Bridge: $395. The Hotlink is lighter and uses much less power. The Bridge can also be used with Red’s T.H.C. The Hotlink requires 2 cables and uses the CNTRL port, whereas the Bridge is a module.

Obviously, the biggest issue with the current Bridge is that it’s an end module, so it blocks the A-mount on the back of the camera. I’m sure Red will release an updated version later, but I’d rather not wait.

I was thinking about buying a Redlink Bridge, taking it apart and cramming the innards into an Adapter Module I have lying around, but I’m not sure if that is possible (or wise).

Does anyone have any further thoughts or additional pros and cons? In particular, I’d be interested to hear from those of you using the Redlink Bridge. Any issues? How’s the range?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Last edited by Robert Hofmeyr; 09-22-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    the HOTLink uses the CTRL port not the GIG-E

so it means the GIG-E is still free for other uses if needed but also means you won't be able to plug the WMD into the camera at the same time to take control of PL glass.

Mark will certainly be making more modules with other features but the main advantage of the first HOTLink model is the size and flexibility to let everyone use their REDVolt XL, VLock or Gold mount batteries without changing their setup to fit the REDLink Bridge...

REDLink Bridge is sold at a cool price because it does not include all the modularity bits and cables a +1 module has to carry, and as such was always advertised as a developer kit by RED... when coding I use my camera on AC power anyway (and joyfully cram hours on my camera meter too...)

That still didn't stop the brave and crazy ones to start using it everywhere with the beta firmware to control cameras on set via SH REDVolts or VLocks on rails or on a battery belt clip :-)

more options is good, just choose your weapon...

facebook link

foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Hotlink... no question.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    the HOTLink uses the CTRL port not the GIG-E
    Thanks for the correction Mikael. I'll update my original post.

why is hotlink better?

Does anyone know the weight difference? This will be on a Movi, on our HL drone.

Also does Fool control connect easier than the redmote did? As in, If I fly the drone away out of range then back, will I have to manually stop recording, or do you think it will reconnect easily enough to not waste time?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jordan View Post
    Does anyone know the weight difference? This will be on a Movi, on our HL drone.

Also does Fool control connect easier than the redmote did? As in, If I fly the drone away out of range then back, will I have to manually stop recording, or do you think it will reconnect easily enough to not waste time?
    I use a MoVI/Epic and Hotlink all the time and is my go-to setup.

Also does Fool control connect easier than the redmote did? As in, If I fly the drone away out of range then back, will I have to manually stop recording, or do you think it will reconnect easily enough to not waste time?[/QUOTE]

Hotlink no question. The hotlink is definitely lighter than the redbridge. With gimbal work especially, that added thickness the redbridge adds just makes it more difficult for camera tilts. You can power the hotlink off of D-Tap or even a Lipo (which is how I power it - lasts ALL day). Lighter the better for gimbal work.

Foolcontrol is an amazing app. Once you connect your phone to the hotlink wifi, fool control automatically connects once the app is launched. If your phone screen shuts off...it automatically reconnects with the camera, making setting changes a breeze. If you're flying, you could push record, fly away, then it will take a few seconds for your phone to find the wifi, connect, then you're good to go.

I've only noticed one bug with the app...when the camera goes into power save mode and fool control is launched, it will actually change the FPS on the camera to like 12 fps and you no longer have control over the camera. So you have to go to the camera head, get it out of power save by hitting any button, then you're good to go again. Not a big deal, just turn off power save on the camera. :-)
    Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/314919326

Hotlink all the way. REDLink ties up the back of the camera and is very annoying if you want to have your battery there LOL
    Fredrik Callinggard (formerly known as weirdcrew)

http://www.uitchiscratch.com

fc@aeoncine.com

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McKechnie View Post
    I use a MoVI/Epic and Hotlink all the time and is my go-to setup.

I've only noticed one bug with the app...when the camera goes into power save mode and fool control is launched, it will actually change the FPS on the camera to like 12 fps and you no longer have control over the camera. So you have to go to the camera head, get it out of power save by hitting any button, then you're good to go again. Not a big deal, just turn off power save on the camera. :-)
    Hi Chris... I'm on BSC show tomorrow but will look into it first thing next week see if I can reproduce the bug and fix it..

I do not use auto power save on my camera so bever bumped into it... Manual sleep and wake up via the app does seem to work fine tho for me. Did you try to use the WAKE button in foolcontrol power menu (lower right on main screen where you can shutdown the cam)

Thanks for the report and feel free to email me more details...
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Redlink works fine , battery issue is easily solved and no more cabling.

ps. Those asking if either wifi option is better than a redmote, no decision wifi leaves redmote for dead.