Thread: What you guys will do in a situation like this? Client Money Related

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 What you guys will do in a situation like this? Client Money Related 
    OK I will try to be shot on this. I have a client which give some odd jobs here and there but he is really hard with the money . for example if I quote for a job I need to keep the price till the end, but I always end up doing more days of work because he keep asking for little changes. I recently edited a project for him that he showed on a event. he was happy with the final product but a few days later he asked me if I can change the song (The original song was his request but is a copyrighted one) so he now can upload the video to youtube, etc.

I said Sure but there is a cost for this (I'm getting a bit tire of his payment ethic). He respond saying He can't paid more money so He ask if I can send him the Final edit without music.

This get me really upset, Not sure if is only me but I find his request abusive, what you guys will do in a situation like this. Thanks

Hi Andy,

You could make him an offer, going forward...

Simple really, if you don't have some other reason to want to do the work, independent of compensation, calculate your net hourly rate and weigh that. No one changes, really.

Thank you very much

Fury
    Carbon Woven Stealth, RRX, KOWA ANAMORPHIC Full Production RENTALS

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?111020-FOR-RENT-CARBON-FIBER-DRAGON-SO-CAL-AREA-CON-U-S&highlight=Rent+Fury

949.689.5614 srgtfury@gmail.com

Thank you very much

Fury

You dont have a client, you have a grinder.

http://library.creativecow.net/linde..._or_grinders/1
    Matt Gottshalk, DP
    Emmy Award winning Editor
    http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com
    https://vimeo.com/86056260

I have a list of clients that I've 'Fired' over my years in the business... Sometimes the money isn't worth the headache and you have to move on.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

Dear Andy

Unfortunately this type of individual seem to be always there all over the world and never disappeared.

It is better to avoid or reject such client, but before doing that i advice you to look for a better one until you got it before you fired this one. But remember reject it in a nicer way. You will never know what can happen in the future, he could have a better project in the future that needs you. Oddly this happen to me once.

Good luck

Rivai

Use the time to find new clients, or areas for your work, instead of working for free.

In the past I included three "correction session" with my offer, after that my offer was based on a "per hour" work for the project. No discussion.
    If you get weak in your position -- you are responsible that the client might takes advantages.

A good client wants you to do kind of well, so you have your intention on the work and not on your finically survival.
    Good clients are rare -- some might say, but if you don't search them, you don't get them.
    Dr. Sassi V. Sassmannshausen PhD
    Epic Dragon "Grisù".

Mr. Corleone.

Make him an offer he can't refuse.

:)

Sorry, I just could not resist.

Battistella
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake

The best solution is to introduce a change policy up front. Clients are hard to change but if you set their expectations to the right place at the beginning then they do generally start to plan around those expectations.

Basically if they are relying on you to budget for the job, it's important to make clear what they expect as deliverables and include a reasonable buffer for the unexpected so both of you plan correctly.

If the client still pushes their luck after having everything put down in writing as clear as day at the beginning of the jobs, then as others have said it might be time to fire the client.

Well, Andy, here's another point of view :

1) You shouldn't put this kind of professional issue on a public forum, it's always better to keep this private, for your own business future

2) He paid for the editing of this piece, he would like the Final Edit without music, just send him want he wants, it's not a big deal, we all know here that it doesn't take long to export the final edit without music.

3) Next time he'll come back, because like you said he's happy and you did what he asked, just rise your fees a little bit to take into account these final changes, without telling it.

For every job on this planet, we often have to make a little bit more than we're supposed to, it's not a big deal, nothing to worry about. It's summer, just smile ;-)

Cheers,

Kristin

If he's the type of client who will have trouble sticking to the number of edit sessions in the contract and you like working with him then Kristen's approach is what I'd do... adjust the quote on the next job to cover the expected additional work.
    David Kuhn
    Epic-M Dragon Monochrome #1995 (Dilbert)