Thread: Rocket-X - Time tests

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Rocket-X - Time tests 
    I looked around and haven't seen many time tests for the Rocket-X. So I did a bit of my own, to measure the Rocket-X performance.

These are by no means comprehensive tests but are a bit of a starting point.

It would be great if other people running time tests with different specs could add these to the thread, to centralize results.

I used a single 6K clip of 5:30 - my goal was to check on how feasible a 6K workflow is (or isn't) and to figure out best practices with what I have.

For all tests, my Rocket-X was housed in a Sonnet Chassis. I also tossed in an 480 gb SSD card which I plundered from a tower which I no longer own, to fill one of the lanes. OWC, the card manufacturer, now makes these same cards with 960 gb SSD. I'm tempted.

I found this card to be more invaluable to my workflow than expected. It's great for moving big data around. And copying off to the SSD first makes the transcodes scream....

My two computer systems are pretty maxed out, so these are fairly fast systems. Your mileage may vary.

Clip specs - 6K 2:1, 5:1 compression, 23.98fps, 180 degree shutter, Runtime: 5:30, file size 53gb.

Sonnet Echo Express III-D tested with Rocket-X card and with Mercury Accelsior 480gb SSD PCi-E card

TRANSCODES
    MacPro, fully loaded 8 core

No Rocket-X over Firewire 800 - 17:28
    No Rocket-X (from desktop SSD) - 17:05
    No Rocket-X over eSata using Thunderbolt hub - 17:07

Rocket-X over Firewire - 5:05
    Rocket-X over eSata using Thunderbolt hub - 3:55
    Rocket-X over Mercury SSD - 2:57

Laptop 2.6ghz Intel i7 Quad

Rocket-X over Firewire - 19:03
    Rocket-X over eSata using Thunderbolt hub - 4:26
    Rocket-X over Mercury SSD - 3:10

PLAYBACK

Playback over MacPro with Rocket-X in Sonnet box w/SSD maxes at 6K 1/2 res

Playback over MacPro without Rocket-X (eSata via Thunderbolt hub) maxes at 6K 1/4 res
    Playback over MacPro without Rocket-X via Firewire 800 - no 6K playback! at any resolution without hiccups - even with loading the clip, cursor caught up halfway - around 2:45 mark

Playback over laptop with Rocket-X in Sonnet box w/SSD maxes at 6K at 1/2

Playback over laptop without Rocket-X (eSata via Thunderbolt) maxes at 6K at 1/8
    Playback over laptop without Rocket-X via Firewire 800k - no 6K Playback without stuttering

Thanks Meryem, great reference.

Cheers - #19

So over thunderbolt 2 to a New Mac Pro we don't get more than 1/2 res realtime playback now? Even though it appears we get faster than realtime transcodes? Any thoughts on why this would be?

I wonder how it would stack up to running on a PC on a full 16x slot.
    Post Pro Gumbo - Colorist

What are you transcoding to? I somehow can't see the specs for the rendered file resolution. The reason why this is so important is that Thunderbolt 2 is very limited for bandwidth. Playback of 6K Full frame at 100% resolution requires a 6K uncompressed image to be sent from RRX to the computer, whereas a 1080p image for rendering is much smaller (about 1/10th the size).

If you did some more tests in a computer with a Pcie Gen 3 X16 slot, you'd find that while the card is capable of 6K full frame playback, TB2 is not without some scaling on the RRX.
    IATSE Local 600 DIT
    www.FreehillProductions.com/

Thx!!!
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Thanks for sharing the test results! PS I have to agree that naming the codec and aspect ratio your encoding to (and whether its 6k HD or not) is relative.

On old rocket prores full hd was fairly fast for me, h264 a bit slower, dpx a pain. plus is the source 16/9 or not...stuff like that becomes very relative variables... I dont mean to nitpick and authentically appreciate the test. I posted some results of my own last night as well...6k to 1080 prores 422LT was faster then real time via TB1 on a Mac Air...

Not bad at all! Cant wait until they tweak it more!
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

good point. I was transcoding to ProRes 422 HQ.

Again, these aren't intended to be definitive tests but rather starting point for discussions - and they are based on what I'm most likely to need, for the jobs I'm most likely to be hired for - when there is obviously a much broader range of needs out there. I'd love it if people chimed in with additional benchmarks.

It took me a full day of testing and timing just to shoot a good clip with audio (important to gauge clean audio playback, based on what I've heard about mixed audio results with the Sonnet) and organize these results. I think a thread where a range of folks chime in would help us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
    good point. I was transcoding to ProRes 422 HQ.

Again, these aren't intended to be definitive tests but rather starting point for discussions - and they are based on what I'm most likely to need, for the jobs I'm most likely to be hired for - when there is obviously a much broader range of needs out there. I'd love it if people chimed in with additional benchmarks.

It took me a full day of testing and timing just to shoot a good clip with audio (important to gauge clean audio playback, based on what I've heard about mixed audio results with the Sonnet) and organize these results. I think a thread where a range of folks chime in would help us all.
    Thanks Meryem. I assume 1080P resolution transcodes?

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

yes. 1080p.

The playback , on my MBr, maxed 2013, is marginally better, but the transcode, as I have posted many times and , by PM, to many of you, is quite snappy, from 6K to 422 HQ, for example. The Playback acceleration, not worth the card and the display port still on the way, but the transcode speed works a treat. The card is at 2/3 of it's transcode power, as I remember Jared telling me at NAB. The new Cinex really kicked up the speed as well, YMMV.
    Carbon Woven Stealth, RRX, KOWA ANAMORPHIC Full Production RENTALS

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?111020-FOR-RENT-CARBON-FIBER-DRAGON-SO-CAL-AREA-CON-U-S&highlight=Rent+Fury

949.689.5614 srgtfury@gmail.com

Thank you very much

Fury