Thread: Adobe Premiere Pro CC - Native REDCODE RAW Sequence Presets

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Adobe Premiere Pro CC - Native REDCODE RAW Sequence Presets 
    Time to update this sticky from 2014 with some new Sequence Presets!

06.20.2016 - Adobe just released the newest version of Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.3. What's important here is that this version supports native REDCODE RAW editing for all current RED DSMC2 cameras.

As such, I've updated my Adobe Premiere Pro CC Sequence Presets with 558 resolution, format, and project time base possibilities. This supports up to 8K editing, common Anamorphic Workflows, as well as the most popular project Time Bases up to 59.94 fps.

Presets can be found here with installation instructions:
    http://phfx.com/tools/REDsequencePresets/

Enjoy.
    Last edited by Phil Holland; 06-21-2016 at 12:09 AM.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Phil,

You never cease in being THE man! Thanks so much!
    Weapon Helium | Scarlet-W | Fuji Cabrios: 19-90 & 85-300mm | Zeiss Otus (28mm, 55mm, 85mm) | 3-ton grip truck | Ronin | Inspire 2 | Jib | Steadicam | and more!

Adobe CC Production Premium, BlueFish 444 4k

www.azPTP.com
    - Info
    Demo material
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook

Phil,

You are a REDUser treasure. Thank you, once again, for your continued dedication to sharing your knowledge and for your passion of the art of filmmaking.

Cheers,

~ Casey

Oh Wow,

This is killer Phil. It was also great seeing you at Cinegear. Keep it up man, you keep killin it.
    www.cinebeck.com
    Director of Photography

In my latest experience editing with Premiere Pro CC, I have found the program to be total junk in terms of editing anything over 30 seconds. I'll try the new update but am looking for other options to edit a native R3D workflow.

Not using the latest tech, but this old Mac Pro still screams, especially with a RR-X Card to help it along.

The worst part of all is this: Adobe Tech Support, so bad, I don't bother calling. Dead end.

Chances are high that I'm doing something wrong, that some setting hasn't been checked, that some additional download is waiting out there for me but I'm seeing constant restarts every 5 minutes as the only work around to get material out right now. After that, the timeline goes at maybe 1/2 FPS, even at 1/8th or 1/4th res.

For now, I got a baby due any day and priorities take over while the bugs hopefully are worked out.

Wish I could get my Ppro super solid to use all the hard work you've put into it, thanks for the support Phil.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

RED One MX 4KHD footage is flying realtime full res on my system via a Seagate 4TB USB 3.0 HD on my system (Upgraded 2009 12-Core 2.8ghz Mac Pro 5,1 w/ Titan Card & 128GB of RAM)

I initially could not figure out why the footage was hyper stuttering like it was at the wrong frame rate, but it turns out 4K Full res is too much to have my Kona 3 card running output at the sometime. Oh well, you win some you lose some. I'll take it!
    Last edited by Adam Johnson; 06-18-2014 at 11:57 PM.
    Alkali Digital
    Director | Cinematographer | Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Will Keir View Post
    Wish I could get my Ppro super solid to use all the hard work you've put into it, thanks for the support Phil.
    Good luck with the upcoming labor/birth Will.

I could be doing some voodoo here, but my biggest advice for anybody setting up an Adobe based workflow for .R3Ds would be:

- Modern Intel I7 or Dual Proc Xeon config.
    - At least 24GB of RAM.
    - Don't use any disks slower than 7200 RPM
    - Single or Multiple GPU configurations. CUDA and/or OpenCL Support. More on board RAM the better.

Optional based on your through put and workflow needs, add a Red Rocket-X. If you got to push out dailies and are handling 4+ hours of footage a day it's really useful.

For native .R3D editing, not all systems can handle Full or 1/2 Resolution Debayer on Playback and Pause. If you right click (option click on Mac) on both of the viewports within Premiere Pro you can adjust the Debayer quality down to 1/4, 1/8, or 1/16 quality. When I work from my laptop I certainly have to go down to 1/8 or 1/16 for smooth playback and scrubbing.

RAID setups with decent bandwidth is nice too, more smaller disks versus larger fewer disks can help for some. You can also get it done "inside the box" with separate drives with your footage. I also like to have a separate disk for writing tasks like exports. Operating System and Applications get to live on their very own hard drive. Most like to go with SSDs for that boot and app disk these days.

*edit*, I'll add one more bit. Resolution REDCODE compression ratios come into play when it comes to playback performance. You will find highly compressed REDCODE files like say 15:1 easier to handle than say 5:1 6K. So when checking performance make sure you have a few clips of various REDCODE compression ratios around. Getting 3:1 and 4:1 to play nicely is the hardest thing to do from a system configuration perspective.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

That's what I'm seeing. The recent projects shot at 5:1 just can't work in Ppros current version. I've got all the fast drives, GPU, RAM. Just really hoping for an Adobe update to fix my premiere pro.

Again, the worst part is, I can't get decent help from Adobe Tech Support to find a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    *edit*, I'll add one more bit. Resolution REDCODE compression ratios come into play when it comes to playback performance. You will find highly compressed REDCODE files like say 15:1 easier to handle than say 5:1 6K. So when checking performance make sure you have a few clips of various REDCODE compression ratios around. Getting 3:1 and 4:1 to play nicely is the hardest thing to do from a system configuration perspective.
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

Dude, Phil. You are so ridiculously helpful. haha. Thanks a million sir!
    EPIC-W #8574 ROCKWELL
    Mac House Productions

Thanks man, this is mighty sweet.
    Jason Diamond
    The Diamond Bros.
    Frame.io
    @jasondiamond

Monstro VV Stormtrooper / 8K HELIUM Stormtrooper / 2 x Gemini Packages
    Leica-R Duclos Cinemod 16mm-180mm / Atlas Anamorphic A-Set