Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: foolcontrol for iPhone...

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Mikael- does the app provide a live video feed?

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Hi Raul
    No the REDLINK bridge provides WIFI but it bridges to a serial-like connection on the camera and there will never be enough bandwidth to have any live image thru this connection
    With the GIG-E connection, then maybe one day we'll be able to access some image thumbnails or even R3Ds if RED decides to open this up.
    Right now thru the Bridge we get the histogram and camera control but for live feed you'll have to rely on another device (wireless transmitter, cable + monitor...)

The OS X version of foolcontrol can display an image on the computer screen but it is not thru REDLINK module but a with a BlackMagic video IN and the camera SDI or HDMI output.
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

3. #23 Help. How do I get the REDLink app from iTune to work on my epic? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Hi Raul
    No the REDLINK bridge provides WIFI but it bridges to a serial-like connection on the camera and there will never be enough bandwidth to have any live image thru this connection
    With the GIG-E connection, then maybe one day we'll be able to access some image thumbnails or even R3Ds if RED decides to open this up.
    Right now thru the Bridge we get the histogram and camera control but for live feed you'll have to rely on another device (wireless transmitter, cable + monitor...)

The OS X version of foolcontrol can display an image on the computer screen but it is not thru REDLINK module but a with a BlackMagic video IN and the camera SDI or HDMI output.
    When I try to connect, it ask for my Epic IP address . How do I get the correct IP address? In the communication menu, it says IP address as 10.10.10.10 but won't accept. Am I missing something? Thanks.

Hello Ricky and thanks for trying the app.
    The IP address field is only needed if you connect to a camera not on your local network (a camera accessed thru the internet using port 1111 on a router).
    Otherwise the software should detect the nearby cameras automatically or whenever you press the 'RESCAN LOCAL NETWORK' button... as long as both are on same local network.

Are you connecting using Ad Hoc or infrastructure wifi mode ?
    Make sure you do not have an ethernet cable plugged in your computer that takes priority over the wifi connection (check your network prefs and move the wifi to the top in the connection lists)
    e-mail me or use the other (OS X) thread if you need any further help :
    foolcontrol power fool DSMC camera control REDuser thread

REDLink bridge instruction pdf that can also be useful (contains camera network setting help and screenshots) :

REDLINK_Bridge_Operation_Guide_Rev-A

Is there any chance that in the distant future you might port it over to Android? We do have an iPad which if you dont have any plans for Android we shall certainly use on an iOS device. How is your version going to differ from the RedLink bridge app that is currently out? I look forward to when the app comes out, have been watching the development on twitter.. looks awesome!

Should be taking delivery of our Dev Kit tomorrow, looking forward to testing it!
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm5401988/

Ex- RED Dragon / Epic Owner

Hello Johnathan

Won't be doing Android myself due to lack of time and knowledge of the platform.

iOS app is still being worked on but been very busy this month so haven't been able to work as much as I wished on it. Will be able to devote more time to it in July.

As the name implies the app (similarly to the OS X version) will offer a lot more controls and parameters than what is available on current iPad app. Including slate, recording settings, motion mount, advanced lens control, monitoring, guides...

foolcontrol OS X is available as a demo download from my website so you can give that a try when you get your REDLink bridge. It is already used daily on several sets shooting RED and getting very good feedback from those using it. It is still for sale at introduction NAB pricing and will remain at this early adopter price at least until a release FW for 5.2 is available from RED.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Anyone still using iPhone 4 / 4s ?
    Due to limited screen space I'd rather go 5 / 5s / 5c and iPod Touch 4th gen only with taller screen...

Any input on this ?
    Late to the party and maybe the only one but just to state it;
    I'm still on a 4s and will keep it until end of the year or early next year I suppose - since iOS 8 will be supporter on the 4s (they only dropped the 4 non-s when it comes to iOS 8 support - so I'm a lucky one) it is still "current line" OS-wise (not feature-wise and speed-wise tho, but at least when it comes to security-updates), so maybe you could keep in mind which iPhone versions run wich max. iOS version... But for an app like foolcontrol I'll understand if the specs of a newer phone need to be met to get a good experience out of it.

Thanks for your great work on all the stuff you do btw! Can't be mentioned often enough! :)

I may have missed this, but are you planning to make the griffin Bluetooth knob work with the iphone/ipad foolcontrol?

Peter. Anyway I cannot restrict app by screen size so it will run on iPhone 4s and performance wise it should be OK as it is not super compute intensive like a 3D game.

Dan, yes I plan at least on testing it. Last I contacted them they said it would work on computers only and maybe not on iOS. At least they won't offer an SDK initially. I'll try to grab an early model and play with it see what is possible. Else I'll see about making my own device maybe but not sure I'm ready for any large hardware production run.

The circular slider interface I'm working on for focus control (see one my twitter photo posted recently) is working pretty well for focusing canon lenses and even works with WMD quite smoothly.

Stay tuned and thanks for your interrested guys :-)

iPhone 5s here, (6 soon or so we hope) But with foolcontrol on my MBPr I can't wait to have a iPhone/iPad version... Truly looking forward to it Mikael!!
    F I L M M A K E R

AFRODITE FILMS