Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Ethernet Cables for REDLINK Development

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51  
    Would be nice if RED or some good cable maker made a small pigtail lemo to female RJ45 cable for underwater and long distance use.
    Last edited by Igor Freev; 05-29-2017 at 05:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #52  
    Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Igor Freev View Post
    Would be nice if RED or some good cable maker made a small pigtail lemo to female RJ45 cable for underwater and long distance use.
    I have one of those from this group buy... not highest quality but worked well so far:

    http://m.ebuddy-tech.com/sale-799685...ale-cable.html
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #53  
    Senior Member Alex Carr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    planet Earth in the Milky Way Galaxy
    Posts
    951
    If you'd like to order Short Versions of Lemo rj45, We make them shorter at TinkerWorks, Inc. Small lead time, but We make customs solutions as well.

    We also make the UltiMote, a hardware RCU that controls All Arri/Red and Sony F65. I just used one for a x17 Camera Array Hardwired and ultra reliable.
    -tink3r
    SMPTE, IEEE, NSL, IATSE 600
    Hardware/Software Developer
    www.ultimote.com ( Hardware Controller for Array and Multiple Camera Control of ARRI / RED / SONY F65 / PHANTOM / VARICAM)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #54  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Milton, Florida
    Posts
    795
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can point me to a current source for a Gig-e to lemo cable capable of interfacing by Epic X with a bridge/router. My Hotlink crapped out and can't be repaired. So I'm looking to put together a tiny USB powered router solution and therefore need a SHORT Gig-e to lemo cable, not the 9 foot one RED sells, that I can use for on camera mounting. Actually, the lemo to ethernet pigtail (female ethernet socket)proposed by Jeff Kilgroe earlier in this thread is probably the best idea since you could then use cheap network cable to extend out to various lengths for various purposes. But I'll take anything shorter than 18 inches.

    Does anyone know of a source?
    Elizabeth Lowrey
    Triumvirate Filmworks


    RED Epic-X #2114
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #55  
    Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Lowrey View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can point me to a current source for a Gig-e to lemo cable capable of interfacing by Epic X with a bridge/router. My Hotlink crapped out and can't be repaired. So I'm looking to put together a tiny USB powered router solution and therefore need a SHORT Gig-e to lemo cable, not the 9 foot one RED sells, that I can use for on camera mounting. Actually, the lemo to ethernet pigtail (female ethernet socket)proposed by Jeff Kilgroe earlier in this thread is probably the best idea since you could then use cheap network cable to extend out to various lengths for various purposes. But I'll take anything shorter than 18 inches.

    Does anyone know of a source?
    Never heard of those before... just found them online .... apparently available in different lengths

    https://www.designacable.com/catalog...rlet-dragon-1/

    Please note you will need to use a GIG-E capable (10/100/1000) router and not just a Fast Ethernet (10/100) portable one.
    The camera can only talk at GIG-Ethernet speed and unfortunately 99% of small routers are limited to Fast ethernet (100)
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #56  
    Senior Member Robert Hofmeyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Lowrey View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can point me to a current source for a Gig-e to lemo cable capable of interfacing by Epic X with a bridge/router. My Hotlink crapped out and can't be repaired. So I'm looking to put together a tiny USB powered router solution and therefore need a SHORT Gig-e to lemo cable, not the 9 foot one RED sells, that I can use for on camera mounting. Actually, the lemo to ethernet pigtail (female ethernet socket)proposed by Jeff Kilgroe earlier in this thread is probably the best idea since you could then use cheap network cable to extend out to various lengths for various purposes. But I'll take anything shorter than 18 inches.

    Does anyone know of a source?
    Or, if Mikael's suggestion does not work out, you could buy the Red one and have someone cut it shorter and crimp on a new connector (male or female).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #57  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Milton, Florida
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikael Lubtchansky View Post
    Never heard of those before... just found them online .... apparently available in different lengths

    https://www.designacable.com/catalog...rlet-dragon-1/

    Please note you will need to use a GIG-E capable (10/100/1000) router and not just a Fast Ethernet (10/100) portable one.
    The camera can only talk at GIG-Ethernet speed and unfortunately 99% of small routers are limited to Fast ethernet (100)
    Mikael, thanks so much for the reply and for the crack research. I had not found that site, and their product is exactly what I'm looking for. Only negative is they're in Great Britain, but it's still very viable. I did locate a domestic company since I posted that will do one custom, but it looks to be very expensive.

    While I have your valuable attention, can you confirm that the following router, which is listed in your foolcontrol wifi tips pdf, does, in fact, offer 10/100/1000 true gigabit ethernet on the wired/network port? I rather suspect it doesn't but haven't yet heard back from the manufacturer to clarify.

    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR8.../dp/B00TQEX8BO


    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Or, if Mikael's suggestion does not work out, you could buy the Red one and have someone cut it shorter and crimp on a new connector (male or female).
    Robert, thanks so much also for your reply. I have never attempted splicing or terminating network cable, though I had thought about the viability of doing that myself if I just bought the 9 foot RED cable and cut it an attempted to put another cat 5e terminal on it. I've done minor soldering and wire stripping/connector integration, but the wires on cat 5e look really small and fragile and might be beyond my expertise to deal with. Have you successfully terminated network cable and do you think it's something that, with good light and mucho magnification, a a relative amateur could handle?
    Elizabeth Lowrey
    Triumvirate Filmworks


    RED Epic-X #2114
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #58  
    Senior Member Robert Hofmeyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Lowrey View Post
    Mikael, thanks so much for the reply and for the crack research. I had not found that site, and their product is exactly what I'm looking for. Only negative is they're in Great Britain, but it's still very viable. I did locate a domestic company since I posted that will do one custom, but it looks to be very expensive.

    While I have your valuable attention, can you confirm that the following router, which is listed in your foolcontrol wifi tips pdf, does, in fact, offer 10/100/1000 true gigabit ethernet on the wired/network port? I rather suspect it doesn't but haven't yet heard back from the manufacturer to clarify.

    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR8.../dp/B00TQEX8BO




    Robert, thanks so much also for your reply. I have never attempted splicing or terminating network cable, though I had thought about the viability of doing that myself if I just bought the 9 foot RED cable and cut it an attempted to put another cat 5e terminal on it. I've done minor soldering and wire stripping/connector integration, but the wires on cat 5e look really small and fragile and might be beyond my expertise to deal with. Have you successfully terminated network cable and do you think it's something that, with good light and mucho magnification, a a relative amateur could handle?
    It's quite easy. No soldering required. You will need a crimper though. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/UbiGear-Crimp...ref=mp_s_a_1_3. Just make sure you keep the wires in the same order. They should be colour coded. Otherwise any decent computer repair place should be able to help you out.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #59  
    Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    France
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Lowrey View Post
    While I have your valuable attention, can you confirm that the following router, which is listed in your foolcontrol wifi tips pdf, does, in fact, offer 10/100/1000 true gigabit ethernet on the wired/network port? I rather suspect it doesn't but haven't yet heard back from the manufacturer to clarify.

    http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR8.../dp/B00TQEX8BO
    Hi Elizabeth

    no this small router is only 10/100 on ethernet side but that is not what we use it for .... it is recommended as a tiny router for cameras with built-in wifi so they can be used in infrastructure mode (via a router) versus using Ad Hoc mode (direct iOS -> camera wifi).
    Infrastructure is a more robust system overall, where camera(s) will reconnect to the network after a battery change while phone stays connected and allows for multiple cameras on same network plus the benefit of placing the router (especially one with larger antennas) in a privilege location on set.
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #60  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Milton, Florida
    Posts
    795
    Thanks again, Mikael and Robert, for your advice. I will keep searching for a suitable router. In the meantime I'm also considering a much more expensive (and elegant) solution through a Teradek Latitude MDM.M reciever/driver, which acts as a wifi bridge and offers a lot more to boot.
    Elizabeth Lowrey
    Triumvirate Filmworks


    RED Epic-X #2114
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts