Thread: Miraizon DNxHD/ProRes Codec for Windows

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Wait. I just spent 50 bucks! Heh.

LOL!

I was waiting to see a reply on that one.

I guess I will wait till tomorrow ;)
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

Just did a quick test from RCX Pro using the Miraizon Prores on Win7. When opening in Resolve, the clip is gamma is wrong. The blacks are interpreted correctly, but the gamma is too bright.
    Danai Chutinaton | DSMC2 HELIUM 8K S35
    www.bluepano.com

Quote Originally Posted by Danai Chutinaton View Post
    Just did a quick test from RCX Pro using the Miraizon Prores on Win7. When opening in Resolve, the clip is gamma is wrong. The blacks are interpreted correctly, but the gamma is too bright.
    Just a guess, but I think RCX on Mac uses a specially tweaked way of writing QuickTimes to try and avoid gamma issues. Maybe on Windows it is seeing the Miraizon codec as a standard RGB codec, and the familiar problems are occurring.

For anybody who is interested in reading an in-depth technical discussion of QuickTime gamma and other issues I thoroughly recommend this article.
    Nick Shaw, London, UK
    editor/compositor/workflow consultant
    TA at REDucation UK

REDlogFilm™ to REDgamma™/REDgamma2™/REDgamma3™ LUTs for FCP 7 and Resolve available from www.antlerpost.com/plugins
    Now also REDgamma4™ for Resolve
    Other formats on request

https://www.shootonline.com/spw/assi...-native-prores

Assimilate is the first - this is legit - APPLE certified - Windows based ProRes encoding.

You can just guess who else will announce soon heading into NAB :)
    Mark L. Pederson

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post

Assimilate is the first - this is legit - APPLE certified - Windows based ProRes encoding.

Unprecedented? What a bunch of BS! I was able to do this over two years ago on FilmMaster running on Windows:-)
    And before you ask, yes, it was Apple certified,not Ffpeg reverse engineered implementation, you could write any flavor of Prores and to boot, there was no gamma shift.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    What a bunch of BS! I was able to do this over two years ago on FilmMaster running on Windows:-)
    And before you ask, yes, it was Apple certified,not Ffpeg reverse engineered implementation, you could write any flavor of Prores and to boot, there was no gamma shift.
    Yep. Been using the FFMPEG solution for some time. A couple studios have compiled their own tools as well.

At the moment this was $50 well spent as it gets me ProRes support in Redcine-X and Adobe Media Encoder. I tend to deliver DPX from Resolve, but hopefully all of this becomes a "non issue" in 2014.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Yep. Been using the FFMPEG solution for some time. A couple studios have compiled their own tools as well.

At the moment this was $50 well spent as it gets me ProRes support in Redcine-X and Adobe Media Encoder. I tend to deliver DPX from Resolve, but hopefully all of this becomes a "non issue" in 2014.
    A bunch of companies had been using Ffmpeg for Prores writing on Windows and Linux. As I said, Nucoda had first official Apple Prores implementation over two years ago. The distinction may be little moot now, but I hear, that Apple may implement some kind of legitimacy checking, preventing Prores created with Ffmpeg from playing back on a Mac...
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

but I hear, that Apple may implement some kind of legitimacy checking, preventing Prores created with Ffmpeg from playing back on a Mac...
    If they do this I hope they get the professional backlash actions like this would merit.

Apple is a good company. To this day I am not sure why they are holding out on ProRes support, even for a nominal fee, on Windows. It's a codec that the industry likes to use for broadcast deliverables and proxies. Why not give the people what they want.

Once again, my suggestion stands. Include it in the Quicktime Pro purchase price and offering.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Unprecedented? What a bunch of BS! I was able to do this over two years ago on FilmMaster running on Windows:-)
    Very cool about FilmMaster - didn't know that :)

What I do know is - I am currently rendering Dragon 6K to ProRes with a full debayer - faster than realtime - on a Windows machine :)

It's also not much of a stretch to assume we will see legit, certified ProRes encoding on Windows via Adobe & Resolve, etc. - imminently :)

I also suspect that Miraizon already has a cease and desist letter. Get the $50 goodies while you can.
    Mark L. Pederson

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post

Its been available on Clipster running on Windows for years.
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium