Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: NAB 2014 rumors and whispers

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    ARRI will show off 4K camera with COMPRESSED RAW recording onboard. The next day they are sued by Red, just like Sony for F65 camera, because Red owns compressed RAW patent…
    Isn't Black magic offering compressed 4K Raw(Cinema DNG) via a future firmware update? It is currently shipping with 4K Pro Res 422(HQ).
    Local 600 DIT

True Lens Company releasing a series of Nikon Rehoused lenses is what I am mostly excited for !
    Chad Bonanno
    Design+Direction
    www.chadbonanno.com
    www.tempestfreerunning.com
    Epic-X # 5418 "VIOLET"

Quote Originally Posted by Sulekh Suman View Post
    Isn't Black magic offering compressed 4K Raw(Cinema DNG) via a future firmware update? It is currently shipping with 4K Pro Res 422(HQ).
    4K Raw(Cinema DNG) is uncompressed
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Jake,

This is from their website.

Balckmagic Cinema Camera 4K Tech Specs
    http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/prod...uctioncamera4k

Compressed Recording Formats

Visually lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW with film dynamic range at 3840 x 2160. Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) at 3840 x 2160 and 1920 x 1080 with either film or video dynamic range.
    It seems to me that there are several different ways of arriving at compressed RAW(other than what Red has patented). NAB 2014 will bear this out further.
    Local 600 DIT

...because Red owns compressed RAW patent…
    I also find this problematic for our industry. I would love Red lift this for our sake. I know Red is R3D, and wavelet compressed raw is what made 4k+ revolution possible. It's a clear advantage for Red, too bad they won't le it go. R3D franchise? ;-)

Pat

While I am personally excited about upgrading my Epic to Dragon, the glut on the supply side of 4K+ cameras will continue to depress the rentals market till the real demand for 4K content ramps up.

Just heard about a 6K camera for $3K.
    http://news.doddleme.com/equipment/k...inemax-camera/
    Local 600 DIT

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    I also find this problematic for our industry. I would love Red lift this for our sake. I know Red is R3D, and wavelet compressed raw is what made 4k+ revolution possible. It's a clear advantage for Red, too bad they won't le it go. R3D franchise? ;-)

Pat
    Pat, shouldn't we be asking the industry giants to make their patents open sourced rather than asking the smaller companies to help out the big guys? That's kind of like asking a common taxpayer to bail out the big banks who mis-manage.

Plus, as a RED customer I think it is in MY best interest that RED hold on to their patents and grow as a company to help keep MY costs down when purchasing RED products.
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

I don't know what to say. Red is not quite a small shop. I m happy with what Red has done for my work as a DOP. Giving me a great tool (from the One to Dragon) reaching top quality in a indie price and R3D was what made the ride possible. Don't shoot me yet... but this tech shouldn't kept for one company. I'm playing a bit the red guy here but the patent of wavelet compression of raw is also what keeps the other from running.

Pat

ARRI will show off 4K camera with COMPRESSED RAW recording onboard. The next day they are sued by Red, just like Sony for F65 camera, because Red owns compressed RAW patent…

Doesn't it depend on the type of compression and the type of raw? Hard to imagine they "own" the whole gamut of "compressed raw." But stranger things have happened, I guess.

I don't know the exact patent content bu I think it's wavelet compression of Raw...

How is Cineform Raw compared to R3D?

Pat