Thread: Red One XLR Power Cable

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red One XLR Power Cable 
    Hey guys,

Short question: does the Red One MX work with a XLR power cable?

Long question: Our Red charger has stopped working. We are on a very tight budget and have seen the Globalmediapro chargers at a more acceptable price for us right now. They have a XLR power out option. I have seen some XLR to Red power cables, and was wondering if they would work fine? I haven't seemed to find anyone using them, and the official ones in the store only say Epic and Scarlet only.

I'm a little worried as I read somewhere the original chargers had to be sent back after the MX sensor upgrade. So I was thinking it was a bit more complicated then a simple power source?

Anyone that has an opinion or has used one, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Tyler.

Hi Tyler,

sure, you can run the R1MX off any DC source between 11.5V and 17V as long as you wire the cable properly. Be sure to refer to the manual (p. 138) for the correct pin scheme. You also need to wire 2 pairs of + and - (otherwise the camera power will fry) so you'll need a 4-conductor cable. Also take into account the relatively high power draw of the R1MX (around 100W depending on the accessories) and make sure the wire gauge of your power cable can handle it. Cheap DC XLR cables will likely be insufficient.

IIRC the wire gauge on my Red power supply is 4 x 22AWG so I presume that should do it.. But might want to double-check with your own calculations. :)
    Thomas Freundlich
    filmmaker :: choreographer ::
    CEO & creative lead, Lumikinos Production
    www.lumikinosproduction.com :: showreel
    Red One MX # 10139 & 10229

I use a global media charger for dc power out via xlr to lemo cable on my R1 and it works good. I've done a full day studio shoot powering the camera that way and didn't have any problems :)

Actually only two of the four pins on the XLR side are used for power.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kiritz View Post
    Actually only two of the four pins on the XLR side are used for power.
    Only true for the XLR end. The Lemo end MUST have + (plus) going to two of the pins, and - (minus) to two of the other pins as Thomas said above, or a circuit board will get damaged in the camera.

The pin pairing can be done at the Lemo connector, so only two conductors (of suitable current rating) are needed in the cable.
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Henderson View Post
    Hey guys,

Short question: does the Red One MX work with a XLR power cable?

Long question: Our Red charger has stopped working. We are on a very tight budget and have seen the Globalmediapro chargers at a more acceptable price for us right now. They have a XLR power out option. I have seen some XLR to Red power cables, and was wondering if they would work fine? I haven't seemed to find anyone using them, and the official ones in the store only say Epic and Scarlet only.

I'm a little worried as I read somewhere the original chargers had to be sent back after the MX sensor upgrade. So I was thinking it was a bit more complicated then a simple power source?

Anyone that has an opinion or has used one, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Tyler.
    The original Red One M AC power supplies were rated at 100W. Red One MX power supplies were upgraded to 150W, as the new sensor and processor boards were a bit more power hungry. The Red Brick battery charger Lemo output was also 100W, so no longer recommended for Red One MX cameras. If Globalmediapro charger XLR outputs are rated at 150W, then it should be fine.

Lower power ratings may work with minimal accessories, and probably won't damage the camera, but may not be able to supply sufficient current to maintain a stable working voltage - which could cause unreliable recording or operation.
    DOP / Digital Lighting Camera Operator
    London, UK.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Thanks for everyone's help!

:)

Resurrecting an old thread and hoping for an answer. Is there any reason that I wouldn't want to power my R1 MX with a Red 6pin lemo to 4pin XLR cable plugged into the adapter below (and then plugged into the wall)?

Dual D-Tap (P Tap) Travel Charger for Sony V-Mount/V Lock and Anton Bauer Gold Mount Batteries: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZ4NOEQ

The voltage range looks like a match and the seller seems to think it would work, but I thought I'd post it here for a second opinion. The pin configuration on the XLR seems to be different from the example given in the GlobalMedia charger diagram above, and it looks like it only supplies 70w of power.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Nick_Brown; 04-14-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Took a risk and answered my own question. I plugged the XLR/Lemo 6pin cable into the adapter and switched the camera on. The camera powered up just fine and displayed "DC" for the power source. Haven't run it for hours and hours, but so far so good.