Thread: Dragon OLPF in Epic?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Good point David.

I was kind of thinking, if they could develop the new properties in to an OLPF for MX that increases highlight roll-off by a stop and gets rid of IR contamination issues, I think everyone would get it… more so than the Fan2.0 upgrade. I was merely thinking of trying the Dragon OLPF in an MX camera to see if it still functions the same (albeit likely with moire/aliasing issues)… I'm more interested in the soft shoulder and IR contamination benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by David Battistella View Post
    David,

Great at point about pixel densities because it's all about light dispersion and these sensors are very different.

It might be worth it if the R&D in dragon OLPF can somehow carry over to the epic scarlet line (which I'm sure they will still sell) so maybe it only makes sense for any new camera in that line. But how much can really be developed for last generation technology.

I find a 1/8 dig icon on the EPIC MX really does the trick in most shooting scenarios if you want to flatten things out a bit and roll off the highlights a bit.

Battistella

I am not so sure if they would want to continue selling MX once they have significant dragon yields and updated all of our cameras... maybe liquidate the MX sensors entirely would be the goal and just keep some for servicing others? red doesn't seem like one of the companies that repackages their sensors into super over developed camera lines. i think they would eventually just phase MX out, most people would just buy MX used at this point or go straight to Dragon would be my guess
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Good point David.

I was kind of thinking, if they could develop the new properties in to an OLPF for MX that increases highlight roll-off by a stop and gets rid of IR contamination issues, I think everyone would get it… more so than the Fan2.0 upgrade. I was merely thinking of trying the Dragon OLPF in an MX camera to see if it still functions the same (albeit likely with moire/aliasing issues)… I'm more interested in the soft shoulder and IR contamination benefits.

you can put the new OLPF in MX...it only costs $9,500 and comes with a free sensor lmfao!
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Merlen View Post
    you can put the new OLPF in MX...it only costs $9,500 and comes with a free sensor lmfao!

True that. LOL!

If the sensor technology were locked in place for some reason, and the only improvements to be made to the cameras had to be through other avenues, it would make a lot of sense to develop a new OLPF for the MX, and the color science that goes with it. But that's not the case.

Looking at the bigger picture, I can't see how it would make any sense at all for Red to devote resources to that effort. A year ago in April, Red was putting Dragon sensors in Epic bodies on the NAB floor. It's ten months later, and Dragon color science is still beta. I think that tells us that developing new color science is very much a non-trivial task. Graeme is brilliant, but he's only got so much capacity, and I suspect that we're seeing how much that capacity is being stretched by the Dragon program. Let them get the Dragon program finished, then if Graeme is casting around for something to do, reworking the MX OLPF and color science might make sense for Red. But that effort will come at the expense of the Red Projector, and Red Ray, and whatever we don't know about that is under development. And given the Dragon time lines, it would be lucky if this new MX OLPF would release sometime in the beginning of 2015.

And then, how much would it have to cost? They'd have to price it high enough to recoup the R&D costs, as well as the cost of manufacturing and installation (remember, the new color science for the new Dragon OLPF is not a user-installable item). Would it cost $1000? $2000? $4000? I have no idea. But how much would people be willing to spend before it became crystal clear that the money would be better spent on a Dragon upgrade?

Not to be a wet blanket, but once you really look at it, this whole idea seems like a non-starter to me. But what do I know?
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Auburn & Portland, ME
    www.airstream.pictures
    EPIC-M Dragon #1053

Like any company that wants to grow, they need to expand their product portafolio. They need to diversify, that means they need to sell more than one or two kind of cameras. As of right now, they have 3 camerAs, all of them with a diferent price range, and that is good business practice. Don't think it is healthy only staying with 2 ( epic and scarlet dragon ). It would be great for them to also expand in the 3k dollAr catagory. Imagine a red pocket camera! All mayor companies, no matter the industry, does this practice.