Thread: LEICA R on RED: Pictures

Reply to Thread
Page 191 of 193 FirstFirst ... 91141181187188189190191192193 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,910 of 1926
    Chad, you might contact Kim Camera in Korea, TLS in England or GL Optics in China. I believe they rehouse Leicas. Not sure about the 19mm v2 though. Good luck. The 19mm v2 is a gem!

Anyone know if I can clamp a Bright Tangerine Misfit Atom Matte Box to the Leica R's in their original housing? Will I destroy the lens if I try?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew J Wilson View Post
    Anyone know if I can clamp a Bright Tangerine Misfit Atom Matte Box to the Leica R's in their original housing? Will I destroy the lens if I try?
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1856780
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

Thanks Tommaso, only just seen that!

Can I get peoples opinions on what you think the BEST Leica R set is?

I do a mixture of branded content/commercials, music videos and narrative work, all low key but I use my set for a range of stuff.

My set consists of:
    Leica 19mm elmarit-r f/2.8 i 320 (1982)
    Leica 28mm elmarit-r f/2.8 i 327 (1983)
    Leica 35mm summicron r f/2 ii 290 (1978)
    Leica 50mm summicron r f/2 ii 311 (1981)
    Leica 60mm elmarit r macro f/2.8 320 (1982)
    Leica 90mm summicron r f/2 307 (1980)

Waiting to finish a couple projects before I get the cine modified by TLS (can't afford the rehouse). But one day I'll sell my kidneys to afford it. I'm generally very happy with my set apart from a couple annoying niggles. The 19mm has terrible CA (Thanks Tomasso for pointing that out!) and the 28mm vignettes horribly when shooting full frame wide open.

Anyone had any experiences with later gen models? Any focal lengths that I should consider getting? Should I make the switch to summiluxes? If I do get the set rehoused I'd preferably like to keep my lenses to a minimum. I've been considering upgrading my 19mm to the v2 and getting the summilux 80. I've also been considering ditching the 60mm macro and relying on diopters instead. Any advice/feedback would be really helpful.

Also on a completely different note, is there anywhere respectable that rehouse/modify Leica M lenses? Got a couple that I don't really use anymore that could make the start of an interesting set...

Matthew,

19 V2 is completely different, more clinical but not too much. Just beautiful and I find it pairs with crons better then luxes generally speaking.

19 V1 is wonderful but you can't really use it in high contrast scenes unless you close past 5.6
    which is a bummer since often low light scenes has some portions with hot highlights to be managed
    and too much CA can kill a scene imho (or immediately giving it the '70ies bad 16mm zooms look ha!)

I suggest to not mix the 80 with 35 and 50 cron because it has a markedly different character til 2.8/4 (especially in the bokeh and spherical aberrations).

90 can focus really close which is insanely useful so in theory you can get away without the 60 for most close up shots unless in real macro territory...
    BUT if you ask me about selling my 60 I'd reply...from my cold, dead hands!!!!!!! It's just wonderful in everything, really and not only as a macro...

About the Leica -Ms just keep in mind that under 35mm there are huge problems in the corners (sharpness and colored vignette) on most sensors.
    These lenses are not telecentric and their designs simply does not go well with digital sensors (unless of course that sensor is a Leica one with microlenses of course ha!)
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso Alvisi View Post
    Matthew,

19 V2 is completely different, more clinical but not too much. Just beautiful and I find it pairs with crons better then luxes generally speaking.

19 V1 is wonderful but you can't really use it in high contrast scenes unless you close past 5.6
    which is a bummer since often low light scenes has some portions with hot highlights to be managed
    and too much CA can kill a scene imho (or immediately giving it the '70ies bad 16mm zooms look ha!)

I suggest to not mix the 80 with 35 and 50 cron because it has a markedly different character til 2.8/4 (especially in the bokeh and spherical aberrations).

90 can focus really close which is insanely useful so in theory you can get away without the 60 for most close up shots unless in real macro territory...
    BUT if you ask me about selling my 60 I'd reply...from my cold, dead hands!!!!!!! It's just wonderful in everything, really and not only as a macro...

About the Leica -Ms just keep in mind that under 35mm there are huge problems in the corners (sharpness and colored vignette) on most sensors.
    These lenses are not telecentric and their designs simply does not go well with digital sensors (unless of course that sensor is a Leica one with microlenses of course ha!)
    Thanks Tommaso

Would there be any colour differences between the 19mm v2 (360) and my set of summicrons (300-320)?
    Would you not recommend the 35 & 50mm summilux?
    Or the 24mm elmarit?

And interesting about the M's, didn't know that!
    Last edited by Matthew J Wilson; 06-27-2019 at 05:14 AM.

Here's a quick test that I've done with my matched set from 1977-1979, to try edge to edge sharpness and vignetting on full frame cameras.

Selling my Leica R set to fund the upgrade to match my 19mm V2.

Set consists of:

Leica 19mm elmarit-r f/2.8 i 320 (1982)
    Leica 28mm elmarit-r f/2.8 i 327 (1983)
    Leica 35mm summicron r f/2 ii 290 (1978)
    Leica 50mm summicron r f/2 ii 311 (1981)
    Leica 60mm elmarit r macro f/2.8 320 (1982)
    Leica 90mm summicron r f/2 307 (1980)

All lenses are in excellent optical and physical condition with no fungus or haze.

Pictures will follow.

UK based

if in original housing but moded with a standard step down ring (from TLS in the UK or Duclos in US) then there is a BT adaptor ring that can be screwed on. Use this the whole time
    I've got a black belt in keeping it real!