Thread: LEICA R on RED: Pictures

Reply to Thread
Page 173 of 197 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1968
    Great look Lluís... classic Red meets vintage Leica R glass!
    Cinematographer • Photographer
    Epic-W • Epic-Dragon M • Leica R Lens Sets

What focus gears are you guys using on the summicron-R's? As I am looking for the tilta nucleus-M/N. But I will need some focus gears for the lenses itself. (I also need focus gears for my sigma lenses as well).

Thanks,

For those of you that have de-clicked your Leica R lenses, do you experience iris creep (as in the iris moves on its own)? I was reading some reports that it's ultimately better to not declick the iris?

For those of you that have de-clicked your Leica R lenses, do you experience iris creep (as in the iris moves on its own)? I was reading some reports that it's ultimately better to not declick the iris?
    It might occur but if the right grease is used it shouldn´t. I once got one lens back from declicking which had this issue but they finally fixed it and it never happened again.

For me it´s necessary to have the lenses declicked because i shoot documentary as well and sometimes need to change exposure smoothly within the shot. If you just shoot under controlled lighting conditions you probably can live with the clicked iris.

What focus gears are you guys using on the summicron-R's? As I am looking for the tilta nucleus-M/N. But I will need some focus gears for the lenses itself. (I also need focus gears for my sigma lenses as well).
    I have gears from Cordvision and i´m very happy with them. But they are in Switzerland, depending where you live you have to deal with customs / long transportation times.

http://www.cordvision.com/product/pro-lens-gear/

I'm a Leica lover and I have been thinking of putting together some lenses for the Scarlet. Looks awesome!

I've got one of these on my 50mm summicron-r:

https://followfocusgears.com/collections/leica
    Filmmaker - Photographer - Designer
    www.eperez.tv

Tony Yang:
    You can de-click in a half-assed way, or the permanent way(spring cut or removed)
    half assed = iris creep
    permanent = smooth as butter and no problems whatsoever. Can't use them on R system camera afterwards, of course.
    Vintage lenses in Moscow: 2 sets of LOMO Anamorphics RF & SF / Zeiss B speeds / and a set of Leica R's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Yang View Post
    Declicked and dampened is how I prefer them. If done well there's no creep, aperture has a nice feel to it with a bit of resistance (but not too much) and still have the option to revert back to a clicked iris later. Duclos Lenses seems to have this process down pretty well now.
    Cinematographer • Photographer
    Epic-W • Epic-Dragon M • Leica R Lens Sets

The thing is, without permanently fixing it to the lever, the spring is the only way to close the iris. That means drilling and setting a screw which is a far greater intrusion than just taking the ball out. Cutting or removing the spring itself isn't enough as the iris would just stay open. Currently we have two or three lenses where the iris is creeping. A quick phone call and our trusted lens technician is sending the right grease to tackle the problem.
    We've been running a set know for around half a year and had fantastic results. Especially the 19mm V2, 28mm V2mm, f1.4 35mm and 80mm stand out me. 100mm APO Macro is pretty lovely as well.

Optics aside, I realised it's necessary to be gentle with the lenses. Wireless focus and auto calibration do take their toll. We were thinking of rehousing, but right it's just not feasible.

I did a split the difference move with my set of lenses. The ball is still there but it was filed down to limit the clicks. So they have a slight resistence, but the stops do not jump. Never had a problem with Iris creep in this way because the Iris is spring loaded, temperature can affect the grease and it can start to move. It's not just external heat that can affect it but camera body heat that partly can some through the lens as the body heats up. Can be a bit more of a problem in hotter climates depending on the grease that is used.

David

PS: I Was so saddened to hear that my lens tech here died suddenly of a heart attack. He did such a great job for me and it was always great to hang out at his bench and talk lenses. He is missed.
    "Colors are the wounds of light."
    -William Blake