Thread: shut up and shoot that Scarlet

Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
    4.5K, 5K, 6K, 8K.....meh. Still happy with some numbers and a high res K. Congrats to all the new owners out there with Ravens and whatever else. Shoot well and be happy!

Last edited by Justin Batchelor; 06-07-2016 at 06:03 AM.

Nice images coming out of the Scarlet-MX, Les. What lenses did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    Hi Christopher.

The workflow for these pictures starts with a sharp lens, focused properly on a well-lit and exposed, adequately contrasty subject, with the image captured as a 4K or higher R3D.

The R3D's are then taken into REDCINE-X, where the still frames are selected and colour-corrected as close to final look as possible, then exported as highest quality TIFF's, with no other effects applied.

The TIFF's are then viewed in Irfanview (the freeware photo-viewer), where they're often further colour-corrected and/or cropped if need be, then bordered or letter-boxed (often just to provide a reference black-level that can be compared to the levels inside the frame).

At the last stage before being bordered or letter-boxed they're sharpened for the first and last time with Irfanview's crude-but-effective default sharpening effect (if it's too sharp, undo it, if it's not sharp enough, too bad, live with it or ditch it).

The finalized TIFF's are then saved, without re-sizing, as highest quality JPG images.

The JPG images are then uploaded to ImageShack, which converts the files to PNG images, with no re-sizing or alterations applied.

The ImageShack PNG files are then embedded full-size here on Reduser, where they get scaled down to an 800x??? resolution.

I should add, this isn't a foolproof workflow for getting decent quality images to show up here, as some images just don't survive the multiple adjustment and conversion processes without getting too degraded. In a similar way, it's not an ideal workflow for getting the highest quality images in general, as I'll also discard images if they need more corrections or adjustments than what can be done within the limits of REDCINE-X and IrfanView. It's just a fairly quick and easy way of getting from A (the camera) to B (the forums) without losing too much of the original detail, and while still leaving room to play around a bit with the images along the way.

Thanks Navin, I used Leica-M 35mm Summarit, 50mm Summicron, 90mm Elmarit and 135mm Tele-Elmar lenses for those MX shots.

Here is a collection of some of the stuff I've been working over the last few months.

Few images.

Beautiful footage Santos, glad I saw that.

Here are some recent Scarlet-D pics from a revisit to the sculpture workshop I posted pictures of earlier in this thread -

Using a different lens, sensor and kind of sunlight than before definitely gives a different kind of result. I love the image-making choices you get using the RED system.
    Last edited by Les Hillis; 06-07-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Love the colors and nice pics too!

What lenses did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Hillis View Post
    Beautiful footage Santos, glad I saw that.

Here are some recent Scarlet-D pics from a revisit to the sculpture workshop I posted pictures of earlier in this thread -

Using a different lens, sensor and kind of sunlight than before definitely gives a different kind of result. I love the image-making choices you get using the RED system.

Thanks Santos, I used an old 'Pentacon 50mm Automatic f/1.8' for those shots.

I love that lens, but wouldn't recommend it for general use.

While I'm here, here's a before and after shot -

I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it's nice to be able to use the 'wrong' kind of lens and not white balance in-camera or use the sunlight properly and still get an acceptable result.

Thanks RED.

Last edited by Les Hillis; 06-28-2016 at 07:01 PM.

I posted a thread with a bunch of nice Images from a short I shot and directed. No one really replied so I figured no one cared because it was Scarlet MX but heres the link.

Canon cn-e 50 and 24mm

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...amp-Canon-CN-E

1. from recent film

2. and a pic from an old shoot.

I like the look of the second shot Jason. Saw the pics in the other thread too, hard to know what to make of it without seeing it graded and in motion. I think people like quality stuff regardless of what it's shot on, but there are all sorts of reasons why people might not respond, so don't get discouraged by it.

Edit -

Some more Pentacon 50mm shots -

Last edited by Les Hillis; 07-05-2016 at 10:54 AM.

both are straight from camera. I'm really happy with the look