Thread: Maxx or SD 633

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hi guys
    We are going to get a sound recorder/mixer so we always have sound with or without a sound guy.
    As I understand we can hook up
    - Environment Stereo (2 XLR)
    - Shotgun (XLR)
    - up to 3 lavaliers or other radio controlled to the mini xlr
    And we can record all of these at the same time.

As I understand we can also sync timecode to the epic and forward a scratch track to the epic. Am I right?

I REALLY like the idea to basically be able to put the recorder directly on the epic or at least very close, maybe a shotgun on the epic for run and gun and have lavs on people we interview. For more serious recording with dedicated audio recorder can just take the whole equipment and record with boom etc.

My first thought was getting a 744 or a 788, but they are heavy and do not have a mixer on.
    Is there something else I should be thinking of?
    Thanks!
    /Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

Yes, you should look at the Sound Devices 633 or 664, or the Zaxcom Maxx or Nomad . the 664 and Nomad are larger/heavier.

you will want a timecode box solution.. Good ones include Tentacle Sync (you'll want a pair), Denecke SB3, Ambient clockit, or TImecode Buddy.
    Epic really needs a constant feed of TC to match the recorder. This can also be done via a hardline from these recorders, if they are close enough to the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mills View Post
    Yes, you should look at the Sound Devices 633 or 664, or the Zaxcom Maxx or Nomad . the 664 and Nomad are larger/heavier.

you will want a timecode box solution.. Good ones include Tentacle Sync (you'll want a pair), Denecke SB3, Ambient clockit, or TImecode Buddy.
    Epic really needs a constant feed of TC to match the recorder. This can also be done via a hardline from these recorders, if they are close enough to the camera.
    Thanks Christopher,
    The Sound Devices 664 looks nice except that it records only 48kHz, I like the option for higher frequence for recording things that I can playback in slow motion. The Nomad looks pretty nice too but if wonder if Sound Devices are not a bit more sturdy in the field.

We also plan on geting a Denecke box for the Epic and a timecode clapper board. Then tentacle looks pretty cool, I have not heard of this before. Is it good?

Maybe we will get a Canon XF105 as a backup and behind the scenes camera, I love that it supports timecode.

Brr, dont want to manually try to synch again (after doing it with 7000 files)!

/Andreas
    RED DSCM2 8K Helium Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon CN20x50 50-1000mm

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hanmer View Post
    Michael
    Have just been debating this one and in the end decided on the Zaxcom Nomad. The thing that swung it was being able to send scratch audio and timecode direct to camera. Nice not having to slate everything and also nice being able to have timecode going to more than one camera at a time. I will be returning from LA next week if you have any questions or want to see how my system is working.
    Tom
    This seems really interesting. When you send scratch audio and timecode to the Epic do you need to buy a reciever or anything? Sounds very interesing now when I'm digging into it.
    /Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    This seems really interesting. When you send scratch audio and timecode to the Epic do you need to buy a reciever or anything? Sounds very interesing now when I'm digging into it.
    /Andreas
    Yes, you will need dedicated Zaxcom receiver unit. But it is a very well thought out system.
    Since it is a two track input on your camera, you absolutely will want to have a person actively mixing the sound that is transmitted.

I have owned and used both Zaxcom and Sound devices recorders mixers and combo units. They each have a little different style but are both very durable, and both sound great.
    Yes, Tentacle is good. Made in EU, and great support

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mills View Post
    Yes, you will need dedicated Zaxcom receiver unit. But it is a very well thought out system.
    Since it is a two track input on your camera, you absolutely will want to have a person actively mixing the sound that is transmitted.

I have owned and used both Zaxcom and Sound devices recorders mixers and combo units. They each have a little different style but are both very durable, and both sound great.
    Yes, Tentacle is good. Made in EU, and great support
    Thanks for the answer Christopher. A few concerns about the Zaxcom:
    - I guess I would need the Nomad for the wireless transmissions?
    - Where do I buy these units in Europe? I couldn't find a single place that lists the transmitters
    - How well do they deal with more extrem weather like deserts, snow and rain? We do shot in fairly harsh conditions at times.

Good to know about Tentacle. Will read more about them I like that they are small and cheaper!
    Cheers!
    /Andreas

Dealers page here..
    http://zaxcom.com/vendors/

The Nomad has the option to to wirelessly send mono 2.4ghz Audio and timecode to the EXRTCD. IFB unit. This is done over Zaxnet.

They have very robust camera link setups that require external tranmitters,but that also have a backup recorder.

Thes are tough enough to give to clients on commercial shoots, and in rugged North American locations.. beaches, desert, humid areas... but get yourself a weather resistant sleeve if you are in the rain. I don't think any audio receivers can really do well without protection.. (Says the guy who had lectro waterproof unit fail in a pond).

I'm wondering what recievers would I actually use with Zaxcom. Lets say we have
    - 2 lavaliers (2 transmitters?)
    - Red Epic (one reciever of audio and scratch)
    - a timecode slate (does this need a reciever too or maybe it can keep timecode)

Seems like the transmitters/recievers are quite expensive though, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong one.
    /Andreas

Hi Andreas
    I use the Zaxcom ERX 2s with my setup and use one on each camera. They receive a signal from the Nomad which contains one channel of audio and 1 of timecode. Another advantage is if you are out of range of the Nomad they still keep feeding internally generated timecode to the cameras and then automatically resync to the Nomad once back in range for the more accurate timecode. I think pinknoise in the UK sell Zaxcom equipment if requested though John (the owner) does not seem that keen. My feeling was the Zaxcom system is not quite as robust as Sound Devices which I would have got if I had been renting my equipment out to third parties however as an owner/operator it is great and the added features made it a simple choice for me over the sound devices equipment. I never want to manually sync audio and video again if it can be avoided. The way I have the system set up is that my wireless mics go into the nomad which then sends the signal to the erx 2. Hope that helps.
    Tom

Thanks for the info!
    So I only need a bunch of ERX2TDC recievers and put them on all cameras, I guess I wont need one on the clapperbord if I sync twice a day?
    And then I will get timecode and mono sound sent to all cameras?
    This is the reciever then?
    http://www.pro-sound.com/p/SZAXERX2TCD.html

How would I do if I use lavaliers? Would I use sennheisers own transmitters or should I get Zaxcoms? I guess it would be more convinient wit Zaxcoms but the transmitters seems very expensive unless I'm missing something. All the transmitters are 1500 -2500 dollars from what I can see.
    And if I understand I will be able to use the ERX2 to get timecode on Canon 5D or similar cameras by saving it into the sound file.

As I understand it the benefit with Zaxcoms compared to Sound Devices 633 is
    + scratch audio sent to Epic and all cameras
    + I don't need to get denecke timeboxes for the Epic or other cameras
    + More channels on the Nomad
    + more advanced features on the Nomad like "no clip"
    Downside
    - heavier
    - more expensive
    - more complicated
    - not quite as sturdy
    - harder to buy them in Europe or test them. Haven't found a single store even listing a price of the equipment!

All thoughts are welcome. Just want awesome sound with great timecode solutions!
    /Andreas