Thread: Maxx or SD 633

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    you can output sound devices 744T TC out and feed it to tentacle, then unhook the tentacle box from the sound devices and connect it to the EPIC / DRAGON TC In. If you have two tentacles (or more) you can sync them and than each one of them will feed one device (sound device / camera) etc.

best wishes and kind regards,
    martin

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Thanks for the tips Peter. They look really nice. Cheap and light weight. So can I use the Sound Devices or Zaxcom as a master and sync the time to the little tentacle beasts?
    Cheers
    /Andreas
    Yes - there's a bit more to it tho (for RED you need the 4-Pin lemo-Adapter cable for example), just take a quick look at their manuals/guides for better understanding what it's capable of and what it exactly does -> they can be found here; http://tentaclesync.com/#download. It's a very nice little tool - used it with a 744T (for master) and FS7 a few weeks ago and it worked perfectly (I use the metadata for TC burn-ins to use on my dailies usually, as I'm often doing data wrangling / basic DIT-stuff), our audio-guys there are working with it on regular basis and helped with development/feedback, that's how I found out about it. For more specific questions just write their support - I'm sure they are happy to answer questions - I'm not an expert, just stumbled upon this myself and haven't heard of it before...

EDIT: too late - but it's always a good idea to check out the whitepapers/manuals/guides anyways ;)
    Last edited by Peter Stelzhammer; 10-14-2015 at 04:55 PM. Reason: 0wned and additions

Thanks Martin. The little tentacles does indeed sound like a nice solution. The Zaxcom sounds maybe even cooler since you can send scratch audio to every camera. Even a little gopro could get time code and scratch audio!
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Wondering if anyone has tips for lavaliers. Talked to Pink Noise and they didnt sound overly impressed with Sennheiser so I'm thinking maybe I should go up in price.

Cheers
    /Andreas
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

What's your budget? One of the coolest things about Zaxnet with Nomad is the ability to remotely trim the gain and trigger internal, time code jammed audio on Zaxcom wireless transmitters whenever you start recording on Nomad.

We're talking $3700-$4K per channel, though, and additional for the lav mic and battery distro to power the receiver.

Bang for the buck, G3 is hard to beat and you will always find uses for it if you outgrow them. Just swap out the included ME-2 mic with an Oscar Sound Tech 801 or TL40 and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Beatty View Post
    What's your budget? One of the coolest things about Zaxnet with Nomad is the ability to remotely trim the gain and trigger internal, time code jammed audio on Zaxcom wireless transmitters whenever you start recording on Nomad.

We're talking $3700-$4K per channel, though, and additional for the lav mic and battery distro to power the receiver.

Bang for the buck, G3 is hard to beat and you will always find uses for it if you outgrow them. Just swap out the included ME-2 mic with an Oscar Sound Tech 801 or TL40 and you'll be fine.
    Hi Doug. Our budget can handle the Zaxcom, but of course it may mean we have to cut down a bit on some lenses. I must say that it sounds like the Zaxcom lavaliers could be very useful because if we are a small crew, sometimes just me, its of course better if we dont have to worry as much with the sound mixing because we are recording with never clip.
    In some cases it will just be me and Natalie and she may be interviewing the subject so I would handle both camera and sound recorder.

How do you power the reciever by the way?
    What would be my other options, I read a bit about Lectronics and Explorer, sounds both very good.

Best
    /Andreas

Something I feel you may overlook is this package's potential to earn the same day rate as your camera. In my market (Atlanta GA, in the SE USA) a Nomad package with 4 lavs and 2 hops, plus TC lock boxes for cameras would bill for $500/day, if not more. And that's as a line item from an owner operator. An audio rental house would charge more. An Epic owner operator in this market will feel intense pressure to charge the same. Again, a rental house will charge more.

That is an interesting point Christopher. I haven't really rented out much before. Thought it was hard to rent out in Stockholm. Now we are in UK so it seems to be easier here.
    Its funny I see that productions look so much for recorders, ironically it looks like one would almost get more "action" recording than filming. Fine by me I guess as long as we are working on cool movies and learning in both vision and sound :)

We haven't decided yet, but I think its leaning towards the full Zaxcom solution. Should land at around 8k pounds +vat.
    Cheers!
    /Andreas

Bring out your dead!!

Ok a bit of Monty there :)

Looking at the Maxx vs 744T.

My colleagues are debating the whole 4 analog vs 2/2 on the 744t.

I dont have much experience with digital recording other than Pro Tools HDX systems so please be kind :)

what are the advantages to having 2 analog and 2 digital?

wouldn't we need a mixer of some sort if we wanted to set-up a 2 mic plus 2 lav shoot with the 744T?

Plus, would an Ambient lock-it slate be enough for timecode gen between the RED and Maxx/744T?

I have a 5pin to 4pin Lemo for the 744T and have had some decent sync with my RED.

Used without a sync box during an indie.
    < Someday I'll be cool enough to have something witty here >

This is not my area of expertise but since I started the thread a few years ago I have learned a few things;-)

Don't buy the 744t unless it is very cheap ...if you want to go SD they have better (for our purpose) combined mixer recorders..

Re slate: you might find a small lockit box and a dumb slate more generally useful (unless you are doing a lot of music promos)..

If dual system sound is important (drama etc) I would be much happier with a small lockit permantly on the camera than jamming a smart slate now and then...

Zaxcom stuff (which we have) is slightly more complicated to understand than SD kit.. we don't regret buying zaxcom until one of us has to show sombody how to use our mixer for some small sound baby sitting task..

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Santiago View Post
    Bring out your dead!!

Ok a bit of Monty there :)

Looking at the Maxx vs 744T.

My colleagues are debating the whole 4 analog vs 2/2 on the 744t.

I dont have much experience with digital recording other than Pro Tools HDX systems so please be kind :)

what are the advantages to having 2 analog and 2 digital?

wouldn't we need a mixer of some sort if we wanted to set-up a 2 mic plus 2 lav shoot with the 744T?

Plus, would an Ambient lock-it slate be enough for timecode gen between the RED and Maxx/744T?

I have a 5pin to 4pin Lemo for the 744T and have had some decent sync with my RED.

Used without a sync box during an indie.