Thread: Maxx or SD 633

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 Maxx or SD 633 
    Hi

I want to pop one of these in with one of our camera packages...

Which is easier to use?...at the moment we toss in a Sound Devices mixer, 2 basic radios and a 416 as a backup setup
    Is there anyway to load a default setup fast? (Either on a zaxcom Maxx or 633)
    I am in the UK (most of the time) is there any problem buying the 633 in the states?

Thanks for any advice

Michael L

2. #2 Differences.. 
    Maxx is fewer recording tracks, fwiw.. but may also be a little cheaper..
    Both from solid manufacturers, both well supported.
    either would be a great addition to a shooting kit for doc and small shoots with dialog and timecode.
    I think if you are in London, you may be able to get a hands on with both.. which I highly recommend, so that you can see which one you like better.

Thank you Christopher...

The Maxx also has half (the sender part) of a Hop built in which is attractive...

As for hands on it is always good advice but I am not nessoarily the best person to do that.

thanks again

Michae

Michael
    Have just been debating this one and in the end decided on the Zaxcom Nomad. The thing that swung it was being able to send scratch audio and timecode direct to camera. Nice not having to slate everything and also nice being able to have timecode going to more than one camera at a time. I will be returning from LA next week if you have any questions or want to see how my system is working.
    Tom

All reports seem to be that the 633 is much easier to use than the Nomad (haven't tried the Maxx) it works in the same way as all their other mixers so people can be up and running with it pretty quickly. The Nomad seems to take quite a lot of learning, I have only just got it so not sure yet but it is possible to save a default set up (Ryan at True audio was kind enough to set one up for me). With the Zaxcom stuff prices are quite a lot less over here than in the UK but all returns must go through the dealer you bought it from.

I was oddly the first one to receive a Zaxcom Maxx stateside. I've been pretty happy with it and the preamps are lovely. I actually went away from the Sound Devices side of things (purchased it before the SD633 was out), so there has been a learning curve.

Took a look at the SD633 though. Both are nice. I do strongly recommend anybody considering these to hook up their gear and record some sample audio to know exactly what you're getting.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

They're both very good. You pretty much can't go wrong either way, assuming you can live with the specific track count on the recorder. Both are very light and have low battery power requirements and record to flash drives.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hanmer View Post
    The Nomad seems to take quite a lot of learning, I have only just got it so not sure yet but it is possible to save a default set up (Ryan at True audio was kind enough to set one up for me). With the Zaxcom stuff prices are quite a lot less over here than in the UK but all returns must go through the dealer you bought it from.
    There is a Load/Save User Preset submenu that allows you to save and recall 3 different set-ups. I believe it's under the ENG section if not on the main menu.

There are a lot of shortcuts that can make your life easier once you learn them. My favorite combo is from the home screen: Play (enter metadata section) -> hover over note field -> PFL and you are taken to a menu where you can scroll through note presets instead of having to type using the scroll wheel.

IMO, Zaxcom mixer/recorders are great but what puts them over the top is Zaxnet. Having transmitters on talent recording directly to SD cards (with automatically jammed time code) has come in quite handy. I have a set up for sale at Trew if you are interested. Talk to Ryan and he'll hook you up.

Neverclip (ISO attenuation) is the icing on the cake- think of it as HDRx for audio that allows you more headroom for audio peaks without having to worry about limiter distortion or clipping.

The trade off for functionality is form factor and OS, where Sound Devices kicks the crap out of Zaxcom. They are much sleeker and more intuitive to use.

thought I should feedback what my decision was:

Despite 633 looking easy we went for a Zaxcom nomad 10.

the combination of Zaxnet (with the TX and RX control) and built in IFB TX was just too tempting...

Zaxcom is red and SD is arri... ;-)

Late to the party... Can't speak for Zaxcom (other than the battery door of my ZFR100 broke within hours of owning it). I bought Trew Audio's first 633 in November 2013 and use it for 90% of the work I do. Day in/day out in all environments it has been rock solid with an incredible form factor and feature list.