Thread: BLACK SHADING For Dummies & Experts

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kraynek View Post
    good idea. i have a Canon TI mount and the cap is plastic so throwing a spotted down prime on with a cover would make the most sense. thanks sir
    http://www.filmtools.com/duv54rolx50...FY9lOgodJEoABQ

always handy to have a yard or two folded up in your set bag
    Mark L. Pederson

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    http://www.filmtools.com/duv54rolx50...FY9lOgodJEoABQ

always handy to have a yard or two folded up in your set bag
    agreed. my set case needs to shift today anyway with the addition of a red matte box….more cases!! *shakes fist at gear gods*
    Cinematographer | Director | Editor | Colorist | Writer
    http://jacenk.net - Epic Dragon #6625 "Leelu"

Is there an "ideal" sensor temperature that we should target?
    Epic Dragon 4470,
    Sony Fs7
    Sony a7rII
    Contax Zeiss Primes
    DanaDolly
    tedparkes@rogers.com

+1 On making this a sticky! I know I will want to come back to it occasionally.

Mark, Amazing that you took the time to help us all understand black shading at the same time you are helping with Reducation in NYC....

Good on ya,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Parkes View Post
    Is there an "ideal" sensor temperature that we should target?
    You can only TARGET a Core Temp with the fan controls. Sensor Temp will react to the Core Temp.

What is important is that the CalMap was created with a Sensor Temp as close as possible to the actual Sensor Temp while you are shooting. I'm sure that there might be an "ideal" temp for the MX sensor and one for the Dragin sensor - but I am not aware of what those values and/or ranges are - and of course ... I would love to know :)

But ... what I know is important is that your CalMap needs to be as close as possible to sesnor temp you are rockin' while shooting if you want the absolute best from the camera.
    Mark L. Pederson

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    Mark, Amazing that you took the time to help us all understand black shading at the same time you are helping with Reducation in NYC....

Good on ya,

Peter
    Well ... this has been on my mind for while now and that CML post pushed me over the edge :)

I hear you might be teaching with me at the next Reducation at the end of Feb in Los Angeles - hope that's true!!!
    Mark L. Pederson

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L. Pederson View Post
    You can only TARGET a Core Temp with the fan controls. Sensor Temp will react to the Core Temp.

What is important is that the CalMap was created with a Sensor Temp as close as possible to the actual Sensor Temp while you are shooting. I'm sure that there might be an "ideal" temp for the MX sensor and one for the Dragin sensor - but I am not aware of what those values and/or ranges are - and of course ... I would love to know :)

But ... what I know is important is that your CalMap needs to be as close as possible to sesnor temp you are rockin' while shooting if you want the absolute best from the camera.
    This would be great to know! Anyone from RED able to chime in on the "ideal" sensor temp for MX? Hey, while we are at it, Ideal sensor temp for Dragon sensor as well. I remember reading that the dragon performs better a little hotter then the MX sensor, which is pretty cool! (Get it? ugh...awful joke...apologies ;)

Thanks Mark … I am sure the "ideal temperature" is the standard that the sensors are judged in manufacturing. Since we can control that temperature to some degree it would be great to know what the number is. I have never had an issue with black shading or issues with the Cal T:E until a week ago while shooting a doc and going between an indoor location +25oC and a -20oC exterior. Your post will definitely help manage that situation going forward.
    Epic Dragon 4470,
    Sony Fs7
    Sony a7rII
    Contax Zeiss Primes
    DanaDolly
    tedparkes@rogers.com

This should be standard required reading for all RED camera owners and operators! Most of this info has been mentioned or covered in bits and pieces on these forums at various times, but I think Mark has outdone himself to consolidate all of this in one place. RED should put this in their users manuals!

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    All this confusion could have been easily avoided, if Red just used a proper name for this process -FPS (Fixed pattern noise) calibration. Term "black shading" is easily confused with standard black shading, that is traditionally done with video cameras.
    Er… Semantics of sorts, I guess. But that's what "standard black shading" is on "traditional" video cameras, a means of calibrating response for fixed pattern noise within under-exposed or "black" regions of the exposed frame. Whether they chose to call it "FP Noise Calibration" or "Black Shading" really has no bearing here. They are one in the same thing, whether its on a RED camera or a Sony PD150.. Of course, in the broadcast world, there is also the trend of using the term "black shading" as the practice of adjusting pedestal values to match black levels and key exposure values between multiple cameras. I can see the confusion in that respect, however that confusion existed before RED came along as using the term "black shading" for multi-camera matching was already at odds with the more technical use of the term for noise compensation and exposure mapping.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.