Thread: Red Ray and DisplayPort connectivity?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Red Ray and DisplayPort connectivity? 
    an integration question; we are trying to integrate the RR into an exhbit space and the 4k unit (from Planar) in the space requires DisplayPort. Anyone have any insight on getting these devices to play together?
    Robert Kurhajetz | Reston, Virginia

"Facts are the air of scientists. Without them you can never fly." Linus Pauling

Red One #2783

If it only has DisplayPort, which seems rather odd, you will need a signal converter that can convert an HDMI 1.4 @ 4K or quad HDMI @ 1080p into a DisplayPort 1.1 signal.

In a nutshell, you're probably screwed though... I only know of a couple HDMI to DP converters out there, none of them support more than 1920x1200 resolution and they are expensive... Kinda like this one: http://www.startech.com/AV/Converter...verter~HDMI2DP

Which Planar unit is this?
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

You may have to use a mATX system, to import HDMI 1.4 4K through a 4k studio BM card and output a 4K display port signal through a discreet GPU card, like a GTX 760.

The integrators are still sorting out the issues at our facility. As Jeff points out it seems like this particular Planar Clarity system has some support for HDMI and also a Planar feature called "Big Picture Plus" they are still working thru - hopefully all will become "self evident" at some point : )
    thanks for the replies

"Facts are the air of scientists. Without them you can never fly." Linus Pauling

Red One #2783

Robert, I'd like to ask you a favor - please post what you learn in resolving this issue.

The early days of UHD/4K are plagued by a mishmash of interconnect standards that introduce far too many failure points. Specific - proven - cross conversion methods are crucial info in 2014. Model numbers, driver versions, etc if you would be so kind...

Cheers - #19

just received an update with more details: the guys have apparently run out of options trying to connect the RR to the Planar wall. So they asked me to post to see if anyone might have any insight on feeding the RR's 4k content into a Planar Clarity Matrix LCD 3X3 Video Wall System with G2 architecture?

Red One #2783

Shiblon's suggestion is where I would start. At this stage of the evolution of UHD/4K signal format/routing development, feeding the output from the RedRay into another device that can output the kind of DisplayPort signal the Planar rig can handle is probably your only option.

RedRay was designed and built prior to the manifestation of "proper" interconnect protocols for UHD/4K, something I would argue is still a disaster. A more robust incarnation of HDMI 2.0 might have made this all much easier, but that ship sailed. The growth rate of the UHD/4K ecosystem faces enough headwind without plugging devices together being a science project.

The industry seems to be more than happy to sell us all devices that sport interfaces with no real future - the better to sell you a new "widget" in 2016 instead of 2019, even if by other measures your existing widget is up to the task. Part of me would like to see such profiteers hoisted on their own petard, but that would mean UHD/4K suffering the same fate as S3D, hardly the preferred outcome.

What do I want? A physical connection that can be locked in place with plenty of headroom for newer chipsets to push data rates significantly higher over time. Evidently that's too much to ask. To be clear, I'm not hammering RED about this - they did the best anyone could at the time - this is more about the desire to stop tossing $500 or more worth of cables in the dumpster every year just because I/O standards have become a leverage point for spurring faster replacement cycles.

Cheers - #19

The Planar Clarity Matrix is supposed to have HDMI input. The current offering does. Seems to me that the RedRay should feed the Clarity via the 4 x HDMI outputs each as a 1080p quadrant of the 4K image.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Jeff, or anyone, I just got a new 2013 Sony XBR 4K display today. (Seiki is out the door...) Hooking up RR, it defaults to 1080 when connected to port 4. Is there any other way to force RR into 4K mode, or force resolution on the Sony?

The RR decides resolution at boot time and you can't change it without another reboot. Have you tried another HDMI input on the display? Maybe the EDID is reporting 1080p for that input. I know one of the Sony projectors only supported 4k on specific inputs.