Thread: How I turned my 4.1 Mac Pro into 5.1 Mac Pro with 12 processors for less, than $800

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    Thanks a lot for the link. i have been thinking about doing the upgrade but couldnt register and download the firmware upgrade. Now I;ve got the upgrading kit and I am wondering if it is worth it. Anyone with more expertise could advise me? I am mostly using my mac with AE, premier and resolve. But eventually will use FINALCUT X as well

How much performance improvement would be going from my current:
    Mac late 2009 (4,1) with 2x2.93 quad core with 16gb (1066) (currently I have 8 2gb) with Nvidia GTX 570 (2559 mb)

to a 5,1 with 2x2.8 GHz (Xeon X5660) 12-core and maybe 24 (8gbx3) 1333 with same Nvidia card.

Currently I am getting a geek bench of 15457 on multicore intel 32bit.

I see that a guy at Netkas forum is getting with the upgrade I am envisioning (without the fastest ram) a 27055!! Which I think it is a pretty nice hit.

I made numbers and this upgrade probably will cost me $450 without the new RAM, and $720 with the new RAM. Which I think it is pretty decent.

Also I wonder if it is worth going for the 1333 faster ram upgrade as it seems that is is only a 1-2 % system speed increase. But I guess for running Resolve it'd make a difference.

Eventually I'll end up buying a new macpro but this year with the dragon upgrade and the brand new FSI cm250 monitor I've got I think I am pretty much maxed out for the year, so I was wondering if it was worth keeping my mac 2009 alive.

Honestly for the work I do, I don't need full time debayer real time. It'd be awesome to have, but not a must. Right now with my system, I can get in resolve a 1/4 res playback on epic 5k footage and my Nvidia card does pretty well unless I go nuts with nodes.

I just would like to get half res debayer realtime playback 5K and maybe dragon?. I might need to get also a card with Esata and usb 3 and buy a thunderbolt to usb 3 adaptor or something like this to use thunderbolt hd drives on my mac. Is this possible?

Is is a waste of time and money for the performance improvement I'd get?

Thanks

Ivan C>

Computer crashing and rebooting after install of new CPU, New Ram and New Video Card - UPDATE.

This might be of some interest to some considering updating. After many days of this problem and trying to remedy it by adding a new hard drive with fresh OSX install, then reseating my CPU's, and testing one at a time....i finally found the issue. Since this problem seems so unrelated to the CPU's failing---i had been monitoring their heat and heat was not an issue. I finally then decided to reverse out of all my new hardware one piece at a time. And i recall reading a fairly new discussion about the AMD 7970 card requiring more power than the stock 2009 mac pro can deliver--while some claimed all you had to do was use the supplied 8pin connector and that was all --and many advocates of the upgrade card said, why would AMD supply the 8pin connector if it would not work--i recall one gentelman adimately writing that in fact the mac pro 2009 could not deliver enough power--it may work, but in the end the specs were not up to what the 7970 card needed .

So, first thing i did was replace my 7970 card with my NVIDIA Quadro 4000 card that i had been using for many years....Well, that was the problem. Been running now all night long without a crash and the 7970 card seemed to be the issue drawing or requiring too much power and at some point (I Assume) just drawing enough power to shut down the system. I'm not sure how this happens or can happen, BUT, it did....
    Johnny Friday
    La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico
    www.bajaproductions.com

RED UNDERWATER 2D & 3D

It must be drawing just enough on certain occasions to cause a re-start. I have not worked with the 7970, I'm not even sure how much power it draws. If you want to use that card, you should probably get an additional GPU power supply that can sit in your lower optical bay. They mount just like an optical (or other 5.25") device and you can snake the necessary power cables through a few of the small openings into the lower compartment of the Mac Pro and connect to the video card. Usually need adapters for other power connectors as well, and external power cord. Really they're a pain in the ass.... That cable part is tricky, so just be ready for some frustration and sharp metal edges getting everything routed. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817101044

I have had the GTX 780 and Titan cause the system to just switch off. I can actually do it every time in every Mac tower I've ever tried those cards in. Not a restart though, that's why your case is a bit weird. I'm really confused with the reports that claim they have 780's and Titans working with no additional power -- they must not actually be stressing the cards.

Anyway a restart may be an indication of a faulty PCIe card more than a power over-draw. Only way to really know would be to try a different 7970 card. Looking up the card's specs, it's a 295W card for the 3GB "GHz Edition" and uses < 100W at idle, 240W under normal operation and 295W peak. So it could definitely over-draw the two PCIe power leads in the Mac. Especially if your tower has a lot of hours on it to begin with. We can start to see some degradation in efficiency of both the PSU and the the logic board's PCIe power circuitry (among other things). So even with a fully functional 7970 card, it really should be getting supplemental power.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Jeff, extremely helpful information. I have a feeling my PSU is just struggling. This is a 2009 mac pro AND i leave it on sometimes for weeks in a row and NEVER shut it down. I can often hear it (not sure the terminology) motoring up under a load or sort of switching and a click...when something load wise must be taking place. So i think i may have to find a new PSU as well and in addition get the additional PSU for my GPU....then find the cables. Not sure if a logic board is even doable now....i recall years ago those being very expensive.

thanks again,
    Johnny Friday
    La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico
    www.bajaproductions.com

RED UNDERWATER 2D & 3D

In order to get things back to full working order: i'm now using an new PSU and the NewEgg 2ndry PSU for my GPU.
    Johnny Friday
    La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico
    www.bajaproductions.com

RED UNDERWATER 2D & 3D

Johnny Friday
    La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico
    www.bajaproductions.com

RED UNDERWATER 2D & 3D

Is anyone running a Titan on there upgraded 2009 Mac Pro? I have a Titan and PSU I've been using in my buddies 12 core but I'm thinking about going down this road now.

Also, do you know of or recommend anyone who does the upgrades to a 2.66 12 core, etc.? Thanks :)
    Director | Cinematographer | Editor

Yes, you'll find this guy a very credible choice. Haven't used him yet, but I intend to as soon as I take delivery of my 4.1, as I'm impressed by his thoroughness and his informative website (worth looking at his entire Mac Pro series of articles for loads of quality technical advise on upgrading and managing a 4.1 mac pro)

http://www.pindelski.com/MacProTurbo/

http://pindelski.org/Photography/technical/mac-pro/

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Johnson View Post
    Is anyone running a Titan on there upgraded 2009 Mac Pro? I have a Titan and PSU I've been using in my buddies 12 core but I'm thinking about going down this road now.

Also, do you know of or recommend anyone who does the upgrades to a 2.66 12 core, etc.? Thanks :)
    I've referenced the person to see about doing the upgrade for you, but I forgot to mention that a Titan will draw more power than is healthy for the Mac Pro as is, you'd have to add a secondary power supply (maybe in the optical bay?) for that card but then it should be fine

Ok, so I've come to the right place, Geek Squad!

I have a 2010 5.1 8 core, with 24GB, Nvidia Titan with external 450w power, and I want to go to 12 core, fastest I can get, with 32GB or maybe 48GB. So I'm reading that the process is somewhat simply, if directions are followed carefully. My main question is, CPUS, what's best for my machine, and what pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks,

Von
    Von Thomas
    Mobile Hero - Dailies Coloist / On-Set Colorist
    IATSE Local 600 DIT
    International Colorist Academy
    mobileheropost.com
    www.icolorist.com