Thread: How I turned my 4.1 Mac Pro into 5.1 Mac Pro with 12 processors for less, than $800

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    The CPUs are located on a daughter card, which is removable. CPUs can then be swapped and tested without needing to send the whole computer.
    yep
    that is what i meant

thanks
    g

I kind of have one more doubt:

if i upgrade the firmware (4,1 to 5,1)and and the 1333Mhz RAM (but still keeping for a while the stock 8 core (2x2.23)), would be an issue?
    i guess maybe the RAM would just go slower till i replace the processor to 12 core?

i was thinking on replacing the Ram first because i bought 48GB of 1333Mhz , and considering that i don't know when i will find the time (and the courage) to swap those CPUs, i figure that in the meantime i can benefit of 48GB or RAM...

thanks
    g

Hi, just a quick question. After the 4.1. to 5.1 upgrade there is a seeming discrepancy. The About this computer windows displays "early 2009", but the model identifier says 5.1. Is this just as normal after a firmware upgrade? Thx.
    Th:)mmes Ulfeng, Norway.

Help with the RAM after upgrade,

Hello, I went ahead with the upgrade. I updated to 5.1 with no problem. I had a 2X quad 2.93 and updated the RAM to 6 (1333) MHz 8gb DDR3 for a total of 48gb

It was running fine on my quad 2.93 at a lower speed.

But now finally I upgraded the CPUs to 2x3.06 Ghz 6-Core and both CPUs are running great but now my Mac is only recognizing 3 DIMMs of RAM fore a total of 24gbs.

I am missing something? It seems that only my 5,6,7 DIM slots are recognizing the RAM. I have done PRAM reset with not help. If I add any Ram to DIMM 1,2,3,4 mac doesnt recognize them and a red LED lights on the board. If I add a 4th 8GB ram on the 8 DIMM socket, then the Mac doesnt start up. Am I missing something?

I made sure my mac kernel is running on 64

I did a geekbench test and it is very promising. It went from getting a 17502 on 64-bit multicore, to a 27750 on 64-bit multicore. almost 60% faster!!!

But how can I have my 6 DIMMS of 8gb RAM back? Any ideas?

Thanks

Just curious if anyone has tested if the performance increase is the same on both windows/bootcamp and osx with the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brennick View Post
    Just curious if anyone has tested if the performance increase is the same on both windows/bootcamp and osx with the upgrade.
    Yes
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Ivan

Sounds to me like one off your processors is not fully seated. Try tightening the screws about a turn

Hello Mathew, thanks a lot for the reply.

Actually I am struggling a bit. I was so afraid to overtightened that I think I didnt do it enough and maybe I placed too much thermal paste. After a while, my mac stopped working at all. Black screen and no beep.

So I took both processors out. Take excess thermal paste and now MAc is back, but now SIMMS 5,6,7,8 are not working but 1,2,3,4 yes.!! And I have noticed that one cpu is running around 10C warmer, but fans are fine.So I guess it is normal.

I'll give it another turn. :-( Cross fingers.

On a side note, now my Nvidia GTX 780 6gb from Macvidcards the CUDa is not working. But I think this is an unrelated issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cortazar View Post
    Hello Mathew, thanks a lot for the reply.

Actually I am struggling a bit. I was so afraid to overtightened that I think I didnt do it enough and maybe I placed too much thermal paste. After a while, my mac stopped working at all. Black screen and no beep.

So I took both processors out. Take excess thermal paste and now MAc is back, but now SIMMS 5,6,7,8 are not working but 1,2,3,4 yes.!! And I have noticed that one cpu is running around 10C warmer, but fans are fine.So I guess it is normal.

I'll give it another turn. :-( Cross fingers.

On a side note, now my Nvidia GTX 780 6gb from Macvidcards the CUDa is not working. But I think this is an unrelated issue.
    The difference in temperature is normal.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Well this is my first post, I joined the forum to talk about my upgrade of a 2009 8 Core MacPro to a 12 Core. Actually did it today.

First let me say this.....I am confident that most people who say not to attempt to DeLid Soldered CPU's are simply regurgitating other peoples fears and likely have no first hand experience. It is so insanely easy, its almost criminal that people who are packing DeLided CPU's with the Thermal Past, Thumb Drive, and cleaner, then marking it up over 300.00 over doing it yourself.

Step 1 - Use the Vice Method (NO HAMMER).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AizBSTndfLg

I personally took it one step further, but in hindsight, it was not necessary. I took an exacto blade and cut into the corner sections of the IHS where they are Siliconed to the CPU. I barely cut into each corner.I applied pressure in the vice, let it set for a minute, then applied a little more pressure, let it set for a minute.

Took the CPU/IHS out of the vice, turned it 1/4, then repeated the previous steps. Then took it out, took it back 1/4 turn (Original Starting Location) applied pressure, a little at a time until I started to see the IHS slide on top of the CPU, then took it out of the Vice and slid it by hand the rest of the way off.The Vice Only method was a piece of cake.

I was in a terrified moment for a while because, especially on the first CPU there was a ton of Solder that had to be removed. As I was scraping it off with a Utility Knife Blade, visually it seemed like I was cutting into the Die that is on top of the CPU, but that's not what it was, it was the Solder that made it look that way. It took me about 15 minutes per CPU to scrape off the old Solder and clean up the Silicone that is around the CPU.I did one CPU at a time.

I installed the first CPU in CPU A slot, left CPU B out. It booted up right away revealing that I had a 6 Core CPU in the computer, however, about a minute after boot up the fans started running full speed and it was very loud. Holy Crap Moment.

I removed the heat-sink and CPU, cleaned both up, then put both back in for a second time.

Same thing again, fans running non stop, full speed. I decided to go ahead with the second CPU as maybe the fans were running because I only had one CPU in, that concept at the time to me seemed like a stretch, but what the He**.

At least I know that the CPU at least seemed ok as it booted and OSX clearly showed it was a 6 Core 3.33. My pulling CPU A out and redoing the Thermal Past ended up being a waste of time, but at the time I didn't know any better.

I have since read that it's common for the Fans to run like that with only CPU A with nothing in CPU B Slot. Live and learn.

So off to DeLiding CPU number 2, put it in, same steps as the first, and BAM. No more fans, all is great.

Typing this on my new

12 Core Mac

See three attached pics, one 32 bit Geekbench, second 64 bit Geekbench, and third, in case some of you are ProTools users like myself:

I also created a 48 Mono plus 48 Stereo Track, put Slate Virtual Mix Rack with 4 Slate Plugins in each instance, then Slate VBG Grey, then added LX480 Reverb. So all track had these three plugins. I set a 32 Buffer, then recorded through the plugins on all track for over 5 minutes, see attached screen shot of CPU usage when recording. Oh, and this was using my Mac's Line Output.

You can follow my thread that I created over at the DUC for those DAW Users out there where I also upgraded a 2009 Quad Core MacPro to a 6 Core as well as this 2009 8 Core to a 12 Core 3.33.
    Last edited by barry johns; 09-14-2015 at 10:02 PM.