Thread: How I turned my 4.1 Mac Pro into 5.1 Mac Pro with 12 processors for less, than $800

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
    Wish I had seen this before I took a drill to my Pro. GTX 580 card was swapped out with a Nvidia Titan 6 months ago.
    Attached Images
    Von Thomas
    Mobile Hero - Dailies Coloist / On-Set Colorist
    IATSE Local 600 DIT
    International Colorist Academy
    mobileheropost.com
    www.icolorist.com

Von Thomas,

Don't your a macpro with the flash Titan GPU handle the dragon workflow you desperately looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Sporleder View Post
    Yes, you'll find this guy a very credible choice. Haven't used him yet, but I intend to as soon as I take delivery of my 4.1, as I'm impressed by his thoroughness and his informative website (worth looking at his entire Mac Pro series of articles for loads of quality technical advise on upgrading and managing a 4.1 mac pro)

http://www.pindelski.com/MacProTurbo/
    I had Thomas upgrade two of my 2009 Mac Pros. He was great. I highly recommend him. I am sure I could have done it myself, but I am busy and I think the little extra cost was well worth the security of having someone with experience do the work.

I did one system with 2x 6 core 3.06GHz X5675 and one system to 2x 6 core 3.33GHz X5680. Both started as entry level 8 core 2.26GHz.

System one Geekbench score went from 11664 (2.26GHz) to 25987 (3.06GHz)

System two Geekbench score went from 12867 (2.26GHz) to 27485 (3.33GHz)

I also upgraded both systems to 40GB of 1333MHz RAM.

I am VERY happy with this upgrade.

Dusty

Quote Originally Posted by Von Thomas View Post
    Ok, so I've come to the right place, Geek Squad!

I have a 2010 5.1 8 core, with 24GB, Nvidia Titan with external 450w power, and I want to go to 12 core, fastest I can get, with 32GB or maybe 48GB. So I'm reading that the process is somewhat simply, if directions are followed carefully. My main question is, CPUS, what's best for my machine, and what pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks,

Von
    Von,

2x 6 core 3.46GHz X5690 I think is the fastest you can upgrade to. The cost increase from 3.33GHz X5680 to 3.46GHz X5690 was too much for me to consider.

I was also concerned that the X5680 and X5690 are 130W CPUs vs the stock Mac Pro CPUs which are 95W. They run fine in the system, but I was a little worried about the heat, so for my DIT rig I only upgraded to the 95W 6 core 3.06GHZ X5675. That system works in 100 degree plus temps half of the year.

Barefeats did a comparison of nMP vs 2010 upgraded to 3.46GHz X5690. 2010 won the test.
    http://www.barefeats.com/tube16.html

Dusty

dual 6-core 3.46GHz is indeed the fastest you can go. Best case RAM amounts would be 48 or 96 GB. 32 or 64 GB will drop the machine into dual-channel operation. Won't be much of a performance loss, but it is a set-back on some levels.

Be careful when interpreting the Mac Pro 5,1 vs. nMP benchmarks. What really matters is how well it runs your software and for now, the real-world results usually favor the Mac tower. This may not hold out as true when software becomes better optimized for the nMP. I can also show you current benchmarks that favor the nMP -- anything where internal system throughput and memory speeds are a dominant factor, the nMP will handily win. As of this moment, the older tower has some advantages and can still be configured with more useable / powerful GPUs, to some extent. For OpenCL/ CUDA it's going to win as those processes rarely tax the PCIe bus at a high level. For raw data throughput of image frames, the nMP is going to win. Simply because it doesn't matter if you put a Titan Black GPU in the Mac tower, it's going to be bottlenecked by the PCIe v2 interface.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

does anynobey knows anybody in NYC with experience that can perform the upgrade?
    i have contacted thomas pindelsky (the guy refried in this thread) but because i have already bought the Cpus and Ram he won't do the upgrade ( for warranty purposes)

thanks
    g

i guess i will try myself...

does anybody knows if would be abad think update a firmware on a 4,1 and than stay with the 8 core and stock ram?
    reason i am asking is because i have 3 mac pro 4,1 , one is at home and i would like to do the cpu upgrade on that one , if the upgrade will go well i would bring that Cpu board on my office machine and so putting back the 8 core cpus (from the office board ) at home ... so my home system would stay 8 core ...(and i ma not sure if the 5,1 firmware would be stable with the 8 core (2x 2.23Ghz)

thanks

g

I hope I'm not understanding you right, but just in case I am... Don't remove logic boards between systems, it's not necessary.

But yes, if you upgrade your EFI firmware to change the Mac Pro from a 4,1 to a 5,1 it will still work just fine with the older CPUs and RAM. You can technically roll-back the EFI firmware too and change the system back to a 4,1 although I don't know if it's worth doing that or if I would even recommend.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Thanks jeff
    yea that is actually what I meant ...
    Aren't to CPU boards all the same ?

The guy that has been recommended on this thread of example ask to ship the CPU board only ,
    So I assume that they test it in their machine ...

Am I not suppose to do it?
    Thanks
    g

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriele Turchi View Post

The guy that has been recommended on this thread of example ask to ship the CPU board only ,
    So I assume that they test it in their machine ...

g
    The CPUs are located on a daughter card, which is removable. CPUs can then be swapped and tested without needing to send the whole computer.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel