Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Bricked NEW EPICs (Quality Issue ?)

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Hunt View Post
    What's the exact definition of "bricked"?
    When the camera becomes non-functional and does not do anything, it becomes "bricked", and if you had enough "bricked" cameras, you could build a small home or maybe a fort in your backyard.

And when I say "a buddy of mine" I mean me. Not sure how such a high end product that's had 2 years to hone their manufacturing process could release even a few cameras that suffer complete failures within hours of their first use. It made me feel like an idiot for buying it honestly, and all I could hear was the voices of all the RED haters I've worked with echoing in my head.

We had to shoot a portion on a 5d (only camera available in Boston on short notice). Overall the experience seriously shook my faith in the company and my investment. I live in LA so the turnaround on fixing and shipping wasn't bad, but I would be out of my mind if I was looking at a month or two of waiting like aaranyan.

RED saved the rest of my shoot by overnighting a loner and my camera hasn't had an issue since.

Scary stuff
    Paul Harb - Director/Editor IATSE 700
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1179925/
    pharb@me.com
    Epic-M #01583 "Uncle Sam" and Epic-M #01597 "Unknown Soldier"

I will be renting my Epic next week and am currently running it non-stop prior to rental. I will keep everyone posted.

Agreed, this issue must be check into thoroughly.
    Quote Originally Posted by aaranyan ramanujam View Post
    RED has to recall the EPICs that they feel is not upto the mark
    Will Keir
    Creative Director ~ Jumping Rock Pictures
    Epic X & Dragon #2482 / R1 #3033
    Zeiss MKII Super Speeds Lenses

"Why I choose film?
    The friendships, the adventure, the art."

unfortunately thats the 2nd big reason why a lot of productions want to use the alexa...
    i prefer the red raw image, but i always have a discussion with the production about problems and storys like that.
    but i wonder about all the guys who go to a professional shooting with clients without having a backup-unit... even the days we´ve shot on film we had a backup-body with us... its also a rule of the insurences here to have this...
    it always can happen everything with your techs...
    well i also had a brocken alexa once...

Thats the thing with internet-forums, bad storys stay and get exaggerated that way. Keep in mind, people mostly get here, to post about problems, but don't post that much, when they are fine...

And lets face it, this story here is about 3 EPICs with problems, thats not enough to make any assumptions by saying there could be general quality problems with newer EPICs since price reduction. It's not fair too. Even the best have problems, its that simple. This can happen and what really matters is how the company behind the product deals with the situation. And thats another point, its their job to do that, to investigate and all that, not ours. Talking about callbacks and requesting the publishment of a error-database is ridiculous. Hey, we are talking about 3 cameras, we don't know the exact circumstances... RED has always proven their loyalty and was always open to talk about problems to their customers, why doubt them now? I'm sure they would start something if there is really the need to do so.

So, this story will stay, with all the assumptions being made and with all the hot words in here. It already scares people, which is in my opinion crazy. Again, we are talking about 3 brains here! It might look like more than a coincidence if you see this around you in a short period of time, but in perspective? Thats nothing, not much and simply not enough to worry about if you're going to buy something right now.

Sure, if it hits you, at a job, without backup, thats a very sad and frustrating situation. I totally understand that. I feel with you. I'm glad that RED has solved it, even saved the shot with a loaner.
    Maik Mueller || http://www.maikmueller.art
    RED Scarlet-X/DRAGON #1388
    Zeiss Otus 28/1.4 & 55/1.4 & 85/1.4

Quote Originally Posted by Milano Questa View Post
    There certainly does seem to be a problem with the new batch of Epics. Several friends of mine had their Epic die on them during a shoot, including my own.
    First there was a weird bar on the right side of the screen and then it completely failed with a 0x000000d error
    A few weeks into my recently purchased epic I had the same problem with the bar on the right of screen. After firmware reinstall the problem went away, although I have seen it pop up once, but disappeared again after restart. Also when I first turn on camera I do get a series of strange color glitches before the screen properly turns on, is this normal?
    Daniel Kelly Brown
    www.danielkellybrown.com

Quote Originally Posted by Maik Müller View Post
    Thats the thing with internet-forums, bad storys stay and get exaggerated that way. Keep in mind, people mostly get here, to post about problems, but don't post that much, when they are fine...

And lets face it, this story here is about 3 EPICs with problems, thats not enough to make any assumptions by saying there could be general quality problems with newer EPICs since price reduction. It's not fair too. Even the best have problems, its that simple. This can happen and what really matters is how the company behind the product deals with the situation. And thats another point, its their job to do that, to investigate and all that, not ours. Talking about callbacks and requesting the publishment of a error-database is ridiculous. Hey, we are talking about 3 cameras, we don't know the exact circumstances... RED has always proven their loyalty and was always open to talk about problems to their customers, why doubt them now? I'm sure they would start something if there is really the need to do so.

So, this story will stay, with all the assumptions being made and with all the hot words in here. It already scares people, which is in my opinion crazy. Again, we are talking about 3 brains here! It might look like more than a coincidence if you see this around you in a short period of time, but in perspective? Thats nothing, not much and simply not enough to worry about if you're going to buy something right now.

Sure, if it hits you, at a job, without backup, thats a very sad and frustrating situation. I totally understand that. I feel with you. I'm glad that RED has solved it, even saved the shot with a loaner.
    How do you come up with 3 ? If you search there are more then 3...

it was never publicly announced but my Epic M went down very early after purchase, to this day i have never found out what the problem was. Also told i could not make an insurance claim as i was told the camera was a "Beta" camera. I lost a great deal of money and it was some weeks before i received my camera back without any real apology or description of the problem. I just put my head down and got on with it at the time but i wasn't happy. It is very frustrating and to be honest for a camera at this price point it shouldn't be happening. I'll probably get flamed for this, but when i bought my Alexa i wasn't 100% happy with a very slight noise from the fan, less than the noise of a well maintained SR3 purring away, i called them, they apologised profusely and a new fan was on my doorstep the very next day. Since 2007 i have purchased 4 Red cameras and have yet to received this level of service. Sorry guys i have never had a whinge at you publicly but sometimes things just have to be said.
    EPIC DRAGON / RED MX / ALEXA .

"If you want to be free just be free, do not ask anyone.
    You must have a hypothesis of your own fate and follow it without submitting yourself and by ignoring the circumstances". Andrei Tarkovsky.