Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Bricked NEW EPICs (Quality Issue ?)

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Bricked NEW EPICs (Quality Issue ?) 
    Hi all ,

I upgraded two of my Scarlet's to Epic #5919 and #5921.

Both bricked within 60 days, from the same assembly line.
    One did not power ON, the other has display issues, actually the display itself is fine. A problem with the Brain.

I have a Scarlet and RED ONE MX which is 2 year and 3 years old respectively. Run for more than 1800 hours which works flawless.

A friend of mine bought a new epic a month back #6266, which got Bricked today in the middle of an AD Shoot. Refusing to power ON, the exact same problem that I had with my #5919.

Now i am very skeptical about the quality of the NEW EPICs being delivered since the price reduction. do we really need the price lowered and get a product that embarrasses in front of the clients ??? RED has to do something about this.

how do i get to this to the top management in RED, Im in India. Sending it to RDC for service in California and back to India takes a minimum 20 days. I am inexplicably angered at it and dejected and losing my faith in RED. Anyone who has bought their EPIC within the last 4 months has issues with their EPIC Brains ? Disgruntled RED Customer from India,

Aaranyan

Out of curiosity, what was the firmware on the camera?

Either way, create a ticket with Red.com support.

Quote Originally Posted by aaranyan ramanujam View Post
    Hi all ,

One did not power ON, the other has display issues, actually the display itself is fine. A problem with the Brain.

I have a Scarlet and RED ONE MX which is 2 year and 3 years old respectively. Run for more than 1800 hours which works flawless.

A friend of mine bought a new epic a month back #6266, which got Bricked today in the middle of an AD Shoot. Refusing to power ON, the exact same problem that I had with my #5919.

Now i am very skeptical about the quality of the NEW EPICs being delivered since the price reduction. do we really need the price lowered and get a product that embarrasses in front of the clients ??? RED has to do something about this.

how do i get to this to the top management in RED, Im in India. Sending it to RDC for service in California and back to India takes a minimum 20 days. I am inexplicably angered at it and dejected and losing my faith in RED. Anyone who has bought their EPIC within the last 4 months has issues with their EPIC Brains ? Disgruntled RED Customer from India,

Aaranyan

We have 5913 and it works fine so far. But we haven't shot that much with it so far. After how many hours of use did they brick?
    Manfred Lopez
    Director - Writer

BIO - IMDB

Hi all ,

Aaranyan
    That sounds awful. I'd be really pissed too. I personally have never had a problem but stories like these are scary. The fact that both of yours had issues points to a systematic problem, maybe with a certain batch? Please keep us updated on your story.
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

that sucks! RED has great support no doubt it will get address and fixed whatever the case be.

Got my trade in done in Sept and haven't had a problem yet, (crossing fingers)
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    2 Gemini packages
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    Oconnor 2060

A51 with RTX2080, Avid MC8, Premiere, and Resolve in the NYC/CT area.

https://vestadalux.com

I WISH there was some sort of database so we could see exactly how many Epics have had problems vs how many exist.
    JAKE WILGANOWSKI
    Director of Photography / Filmmaker
    CINE-AUTOMATIC.COM

So totally 4 Epics.

firmware was on 4.0.12 and 4.0.18 on the other. 3rd Brain had 4.0.18 firmware.

All brains were under 100 hours of usage. 3rd Epic was less than 20 hours.

RED has to recall the EPICs that they feel is not upto the mark like how Automobiles are done. Also give extended warranty as a good will gesture to restore confidence and peace of mind.

Aaranyan

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Hi all ,

Aaranyan
    Hi Aaranyan,

Putting myself in your shoes, I completely understand your concern.

Rest assured that when our valued customers report an issue, we take it very seriously.

Please feel free to contact me directly at nick.grow@red.com and I will make sure your feedback gets relayed to the right people at RED.

If possible, please have your friend submit a technical support ticket here https://support.red.com/anonymous_requests/new so we can assist with EPIC-X #6266.

NICK

that is crazy.....when i first got my scarlet it was bricked within 30 days...the new body i got to replace it was fine and so is the epic i have now....
    i know how you feel, for a professional product that is unacceptable...i hope you will have this resolved sooner then later....it took me 2 months to get my first bricked scarlet issue resolved....and i am in LA...good luck....