Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: HDSDI

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakaree Sandberg View Post
    still though, there is no software in the camera for selective hdsdi outputs..
    I'm not sure I understand your problem with Burke's suggestion to use the PRO I/O. You most definitely do have software control over what is displayed on the three separate HDSDI streams (once you have a PRO I/O attached)

Pro I/O does what you want.

Florian Stadler, D.P., L.A.
    www.florianstadler.com
    www.buntefarben.com

Yeah, why not use the i/o module? That's one of the many things it does and that is why it is there...!

People really need to get into the idea of a modular system with RED. The brain is a brain...you buy the extra pieces and features you want and/or if needed...or just rent them. I don't use my i/o module very often but it's there in the box whenever i want standard features like most cameras and make the Epic about the same size and weight of other cameras...if not, i don't put it on.
    Brigham Edgar
    Cinematographer
    www.brighamedgar.com
    Brisbane, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Lillehaugen View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your problem with Burke's suggestion to use the PRO I/O. You most definitely do have software control over what is displayed on the three separate HDSDI streams (once you have a PRO I/O attached)
    I have never used the pro io, so i was not aware of the multiple output streams... productions wont rent it.. i dont know any camera houses that put this standard with their camera.. and its certainly not up to the DIT to purchase a piece of camera gear to make the camera do what it should have done from day 1
    Zakaree Sandberg
    Zakaree@Gmail.com
    Cinematographer / Local 600
    www.Zakaree.com

Luckily the Epic has so many other features the other small modular 5K cameras don't have. I think it evens out in the end

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gundu View Post
    Luckily the Epic has so many other features the other small modular 5K cameras don't have. I think it evens out in the end
    I see what you did there.

To be fair, I recently did a shoot with R1s and actually loved that it had EVF and LCD out built-in (but I one of those people that think the +1 is unfairly overpriced for something that's such a necessity on traditional sets).

Zack, I think the HDMI-to-SDI is a perfectly acceptable solution... I don't like having more crap tacked on than necessary either, but it sounds like the wolves on set are getting hungry, and it's not a difficult thing to do. Similarly, why not use wireless HDMI for monitoring? So split the SDI (clean) to the monitor and offboard recorder, than use wireless HDMI (or hdmi-to-sdi with converter) with the overlay on it to video villagio?

Hi Zakaree,

Our recorders support loop out of SDI and it's clean. So you can record onto our device and loop out into another Monitor, Mixer, Atomos recorder or even an Atomos Connect convert.

Here's a video I created in another post: http://www.atomos.com/social_media/r...y_Oct_2013.m4v

Thanks

-Brooke
    Creative Director | atomos.com

dont know where else to put this..

maybe this is possible? i dont know...

but we need a second HDSDI out that can send out a clean image.. sometimes the DP or AC want info on their HDSDI monitor.. but it would be nice to be able to also send out a clean image to record to external decks, in order to bypass transcoding...

is this ever coming?

Zakaree, convince you clients that off board non raw recording is not the way to go for anything else than reference, then you set up the HD output to use minimal overlays and record with info on edge of frame.. Its actually quite handy to have it all there even for offline editing purpuses , exposure settings histograms file name, etc. Then you rendered them clean frames from the r3d's.

I got around with that tactic every time lately... and I like to have the extra info. And if not demand that the rental house gets an I/O.... as the epic cost a fraction and weights a fraction of the alexa and adding a pro i/o to it is not really that costly or adding a little velcro and a low cos HDMI / sdi converter is also quite easy.

Personally I'm in love with the +1 and our bolt that sits on a back tactical plate covered with velcro... No cables, small footprint and no issues :)
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Hey Zakaree,

We create converters or and ProRes recorders.

http://www.atomos.com/samurai-blade/

http://www.atomos.com/connect-converters/

Happy to answer any questions you have.

-Brooke | atomos

seems like a no brainer to just provide a cheap module to give more than 1 hdsdi out and the software to control what goes where..
    alexa has 4.. the plus has 8 right?
    epic = 1
    I love the Alexa, but you are exaggerating here. Essentially it has 3 outputs: EVF (proprietary), monitor SDI, and record SDI. Record has two jacks, but they can't show 2 different things. So yes, it can do what you want, e.g. clean record output to village and overlays for the AC.
    But if you are recording ARRIRAW to an external recorder, that uses the record output, then you only have a single SDI output for monitoring, which is the same situation as the Epic. In fact, Epic is slightly better in this case, because you can use an onboard HDMI monitor with overlays.
    With the Alexa Plus, you get one additional SDI output, but I think it's a clone of the other.