Thread: RED EPIC DRAGON Carbon-Fibre in Microsoft Surface Pro 2 event

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by paul schefz View Post
    we all know that desktop GPUs with 2 and even 4vram choke with raw 4k
    Actually I don't think we know for sure. You have seen the new Beta GPU Acceleration Enabled version of Redcine-X Pro Paul?

Depending on your system you'll likely be getting realtime 1/4-full resolution playback on 5K material. Which is tremendous.

It's more about demonstrating what you can do and to me editing on tablet is pretty damn impressive. Even if it's for quick review.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

phil....i am using the new beta...and yes....it rocks....and like i said i am all for a tablet to do more then my desktop....
    but this (the surface 2 pro) is a i5 1.6ghz with 4 or 8gb ram and up to 512gb ssd.....integrated gpu....so this is really is comparable to a macbook air (and many other available pc laptops)....except that the air probably is faster and cheaper....
    the funny thing is that battery time on the first surface pro was...not so good....now they say they improved it but pretty much admit that the improvement comes from the better power management of haswell.....and they won't even give an estimate....for office and such it is probably fine for a couple of hours....for anything close to what they showed today....i doubt it does 2 hours.....
    ipads, iphones, macbook air....the weight/size is mostly battery....so the surface (still not great) is decent....the pro just can't pull it off....

never-the-less... cool!
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

sorry...this is idiotic....i want a tablet that runs all day crunching 6K raws just as much as anyone....and i don't care who makes it or how much....
    but this is silly....haswell improves battery life, no question...but it is more a power management then magic...so if you run at full blast, there is little improvement....so the 20% to 75% (which one is it anyway?) better battery life still puts this at a couple of hours at best...
    we all know that desktop GPUs with 2 and even 4vram choke with raw 4k, so this demo must have run at much slower resolution....debayer at 1/16 or 1/32 i assume (good enough for the screen anytime)...which brings us to...data....is there even a 512gb version of this? so i can at least dump one 256gb mag...just to show off how well it plays it back...once before the battery dies?

i think the surface pro shows great potential (if it wasn't hindered by a system that still just isn't made for touch) but top of the line laptops across the manufacturer lines can't REALLY do what this demo is kind of hinting at....people in the audience might come back from this thinking that "you can edit 6K on this thing!" and that is just BS and i even wonder why it is necessary?
    This is not a system made for data intensive tasks like DIT or downloading footage. This is a review device that allows you to utilize the power of SCRATCH on a tablet/PC and Raw files of many flavors. It's not meant to replace your desktop or main power machine. By using the infrastructure of SCRATCH you can generate CDL compliant looks that can pass off to any app or stay within SCRATCH and bump the project to a Lab or Full version. I think everyone needs to look at these hardware releases and compartmentalize what they do and where they fit into an ecosystem and not think of each device as the be all end all machine that may replace X, Y, or Z.
    Jason Diamond
    The Diamond Bros.
    Frame.io
    @jasondiamond

Monstro VV Stormtrooper / 8K HELIUM Stormtrooper / 2 x Gemini Packages
    Leica-R Duclos Cinemod 16mm-180mm / Atlas Anamorphic A-Set

There are better ways to review footage on a tablet... Just need a good workflow and good DIT

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe Abreu View Post
    There are better ways to review footage on a tablet...
    What ways are those..?

i have no horse in this race, and i do like competition...just not sure about this....
    here is a good article by guys who are definitely NOT apple fanboys....gives a good overview of the surface line.....
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/23/m...ems/#continued

Here's the video (low res).

sorry...this is idiotic....i want a tablet that runs all day crunching 6K raws just as much as anyone....and i don't care who makes it or how much....
    but this is silly....haswell improves battery life, no question...but it is more a power management then magic...so if you run at full blast, there is little improvement....so the 20% to 75% (which one is it anyway?) better battery life still puts this at a couple of hours at best...
    we all know that desktop GPUs with 2 and even 4vram choke with raw 4k, so this demo must have run at much slower resolution....debayer at 1/16 or 1/32 i assume (good enough for the screen anytime)...which brings us to...data....is there even a 512gb version of this? so i can at least dump one 256gb mag...just to show off how well it plays it back...once before the battery dies?

i think the surface pro shows great potential (if it wasn't hindered by a system that still just isn't made for touch) but top of the line laptops across the manufacturer lines can't REALLY do what this demo is kind of hinting at....people in the audience might come back from this thinking that "you can edit 6K on this thing!" and that is just BS and i even wonder why it is necessary?
    Paul - I helped build the SCRATCH Play demo that Panos showed onstage. After Panos's presentation, we were also showing SCRATCH Play on Surface Pro 2 tablets at a side-stage area.

What Panos was showing was SCRATCH Play running 1/4 debayer of Dragon R3D at 6144x2592.

He did some quick playback and scrubbing. Consistent realtime playback from Dragon R3D so far is around 1/8 debayer. For SCRATCH Play, we are still tweaking and making it better - Surface Pro 2 drivers, etc., are still not completely locked in stone. I think that 1/4 realtime playback will be realistic with most footage.

The side-stage area had 2x Surface Pro 2 units running SCRATCH Play.

Unit #1: Running Dragon R3D at 6144x2592, and Quad-HD DPX files (3840x2160.) Output to a Sharp 4K display at 3840x2160. Realtime playback at 24fps while feeding the 4K display from both R3D and DPX.

Unit #2: RED Reader connected to USB3. Switching out RED Drive mags, playing back both EPIC and DRAGON footage realtime at 1/4 and 1/8 resolution in SCRATCH Play directly from the drive, connected via the USB3 port.

And yes - there is a 512GB version.

The one thing you are dead-wrong on is battery life. One of the Surface Pro 2 units was not connected to a power source from around 9AM until 1PM - and it was doing nothing but playing back constantly. When we left at 1PM, it had just under 50% battery left. And that is without the power cover - just the unit itself. I personally own an original Surface Pro and can tell you as a subjective measurement that the battery difference is huge.

And I really don't know what you're talking about when you say "a system just isn't made for touch." The Surface Pro 2 is basically a mini-Cintiq as far as responsiveness and sensitivity. If you're talking about the software - sure - but that's a UX/UI issue that will continually improve. The hardware itself is amazing for touch.

Lucas

This is just amazing. I am using windows 8 for my motion control system and finding it very stable. This would allow me a ton of flexibility to check out quickly some test shots before I start a scene. And would allow me to make sure the scene "worked" before I did a breakdown of the system for the next scene. Normally my 9 inch monitor is just hard to use on my MC system, 5 inch really doesn't allow me to see I have a problem. Actually if the dit could just network a small trim file to my windows pad, that would be about optimal.