Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED DSMC Motion Mount has arrived!

Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 LastLast
  1.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #151  
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Are you sure about this. I though the motion mount was engineered to have it's glass taken into account. At least we could just swap between MM mount and the normal mount and our marks where dead on. Our AC was worried that it would be off so we double checked it...
    Adding anything behind the lens will change back focus, this was accounted for in the design of the motion mount.

Banned
    I'll be honest and say I'm sorry I missed my chance to buy a Tessive filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo New View Post
    I'll be honest and say I'm sorry I missed my chance to buy a Tessive filter.
    I'm actually pleased as a pickle to have this technology behind the lens, using the camera power, and integrated into the camera's feature set. One of the larger advantages to the Motion Mount for me is the concept of putting the camera up on a lightweight jib or something like the Movi and having that control/freedom. No real size or weight gains, which is fantastic.

I will say this for those who haven't used one just yet. The Motion Mount is more than just a mechanical mount, it's a sensitive optical/electric device. It's very simple to use, but read the manual and learn the ins and outs of this thing. Also, read up on proper cleaning and care.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I'm actually pleased as a pickle to have this technology behind the lens, using the camera power, and integrated into the camera's feature set. One of the larger advantages to the Motion Mount for me is the concept of putting the camera up on a lightweight jib or something like the Movi and having that control/freedom. No real size or weight gains, which is fantastic.

I will say this for those who haven't used one just yet. The Motion Mount is more than just a mechanical mount, it's a sensitive optical/electric device. It's very simple to use, but read the manual and learn the ins and outs of this thing. Also, read up on proper cleaning and care.

Agree 100%+... ;)
    Philanthropist | Filmmaker | Photographer

The biggest plus for me is, now I don't need to change out little ND filters on my Long lenses by taking out the little tray and unscrewing and screwing while I watch my shot go away…Or changing the DoF while still shooting in just a moment.. Yeahhooooo
    Motion Mount is one of the most valuable items when I out shooting with a long lens on.
    Thank you Red again...
    Epic Forged Weapon (Aerial)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Fill View Post
    The biggest plus for me is, now I don't need to change out little ND filters on my Long lenses by taking out the little tray and unscrewing and screwing while I watch my shot go away…Or changing the DoF while still shooting in just a moment.. Yeahhooooo
    Motion Mount is one of the most valuable items when I out shooting with a long lens on.
    Thank you Red again...
    Bah. You just reminded me that I need to bump up the RPP 300mm T2.9 on my list of things to gather. Great point on this front.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

RED Weapon 8K VV Dragon "Orochi"
    RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro "Skully"

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I'm close to pull the trigger on a Motion Mount, but i just wanted to ask you guys what you think about it now, after some time has passed.

Does it stay always on camera? Do you really use the different shutter-modes all the time or is it "just" a electronic ND? Are there any major drawbacks to keep in mind? The light loss is obvious, but how much does that concern you? (I don't have a Dragon yet.)

Just want to know if my expectations are too high. ;)
    Maik Mueller || http://www.maikmueller.de
    RED Scarlet-X/DRAGON #1388
    Zeiss Otus 28/1.4 & 55/1.4 & 85/1.4 | SiGMA ART 35/1.4 & 50/1.4

it stays on my camera all the time. i mostly done sports with it and i love the shutter modes and NDs that it gives you. I mostly use Canon mount as of my style of the shooting but i own the PL mount as well and when i rent my camera to drone guys they always say "strip the camera right down but please put the MM mount on". for them its something they need to have as before it was really hard to do all the balancing and changing filters,... now its just a click of a button and specially while mid air - you cant always set the exposure on the ground perfectly

Senior Member Robert Gustafsson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uros Zuraj View Post
    it stays on my camera all the time. i mostly done sports with it and i love the shutter modes and NDs that it gives you. I mostly use Canon mount as of my style of the shooting but i own the PL mount as well and when i rent my camera to drone guys they always say "strip the camera right down but please put the MM mount on". for them its something they need to have as before it was really hard to do all the balancing and changing filters,... now its just a click of a button and specially while mid air - you cant always set the exposure on the ground perfectly
    Have you had any issues with the backfocus when you switched between PL mount and the Canon mount? (I have a standard PL mount on my camera but just ordered a Canon MM.)
    RED EPIC-W #1939
    http://treborian.com

Yeah, I'm interested too...ideally it should be maintained when switching mounts...
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon MG #0523 aka qp
    instagram | twitter