Thread: Tridods?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Tridods? 
    For mobile EFP/ENG I've had great luck with Vinten and Sachtler over the years. What will you be using?

What are your favorite heads?

What are your favorite sticks?

Models?

For what type of EFP/ENG?

One tripood or 2-tripod approach?

Spreaders: floor-level, mid-level, or none?

Tripod care and maintenance for various environments?
    Executive Producer, Director, DP, Cinematographer
    Red pioneer: RED One 0008, Red One "London", Red One "Hollywood", Epic M 0008, Epic X (2)
    Golden Gate 3D - www.gg3d.com

Co-Producer, IMAX film CUBA - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijvjeZ89qY
    Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/stevegibby/

Hi Gibby,

I've been using a Vinten Pro 5 with a spreader for the past two years or so. It's been fine for the PD170 small style of ENG camera. I did hire an O'Connor when I went up to Yosemite a while back - that had a really nice fluid head and some spring mechanism on the front to keep everything balanced especially while you tilt. It was also a heavier duty tripod all round. Apparently it cost around $10,000 - but that seems a lot of money for tripod - I'm not sure?? I've hired Sachtler in the past which were especially good when you have to work around seating in side auditoriums with no where to put a camera. I wasn't that impressed with the heads on them though.

My cine friend has a really old fashioned black anodised three way head which I forget the name of but I want to use that with the RED ONE. It has these 3 levers that let you control the fluid resistance in all three dimensions and it's silky smooth. It weighs in at about 100lbs and was made to take the really heavy weigth cameras of yester year so you can't really ship it by air. It's a real museum piece and looks like it was made by Rolls Royce but I think on the right legs I can some great shots with it!

All the best, Phil

It's funny how some people are very snobby about the tripods they use. I've been using Sachtler tripods since 1982. Currently I have a Video 20 head and the heavy duty carbon fiber two stage legs. These have the single release latch which is just great. You don't have to bend down to release the second stage. It's all done with one latch! I use a floor spreader instead of the center (although I have it available). I'm just very used to it. Honestly I've never had problems with the Sachtler tripods I've had over the years. They are designed very well and I've traveled them all over the world without issues. That being said, I have some friends that swear by O'Conner heads. I'm sure they are just as good as the Sachtlers, but I'm just used to what I've been using for so long I see no need to change. There was a period when I had a staff job that supplied me with a Vinten set-up, head and sticks. There was no comparison. The Sachtler was so much better in everyway, and the Vinten couldn't handle the travel. It began falling apart. This was 12 years ago so they may be better now.
    Ken Willinger S.O.C.
    http://kenwillinger.com/

FAVORITE HEAD: VINTEN
    Very cool drag system. Unlike Sachtlers, you can pull off a whip-pan at any drag setting.

FAVORITE STICKS: SACHTLER
    w/off-ground spreader, and single-lever release leg lock (but too expensive).

As a cost-conscious alternative, the Libecs legs are cheap, and seem worth further investigation. I might go for a cheap Manfrotto for sawed-off or baby legs to save money, but certainly wouldn't choose Manfrotto sticks for my primary sticks.

I own a used Vinten Vision 5. It's a lightweight ENG-class head. Good enough for a small ENG camera, but underpowered for an F900, or even a fully loaded BVW400/600. I own a 15 lb. DSR450 and use it with 5-lb. Anton Bauer bricks, and it services that weight just fine. But that's probably its max load. If I were to buy a new head, I would seriously be considering the Vinten Vision 11.
    ralph oshiro
    RED411.NET

Banned
    What will you be using?

Sachtler 100mm fluid head Video 20 (although one could fit a red ENG system on a 75mm it just wouldn't feel right?) with speedlock DBL extension carbon fiber sticks.

What are your favorite heads?

Original Miller Heads

What are your favorite sticks?
    1930's wood sticks (see picture) cuz my hands don't freeze to them in the Arctic and they stay put in the wild - sand, mud, bog. mangrove swamps you name it then just hose 'em off. But alas, just to damn heavy to keep carting around the planet.

For what type of EFP/ENG?
    Wildlife filmmaking from the Calahari to the Arctic and beyond.

One tripod or 2-tripod approach?
    One in most cases unless specialty shots are required like underwater macro - then I use a rented fluid head or borrow Gibby's

Spreaders: floor-level, mid-level, or none?
    Floor level for interior interviews - none in the field.

Tripod care and maintenance for various environments?
    I use simple green to clean before going back into the bag after salt, sand, ice and dirt, not always possible though and sometimes it's before shipping home.

Have used Sachtler for years. their larger heads such as the 25 are very nice cine pieces. This last year bought the new Miller Solo legs.
    for small crew fast moving stuff these are great. They are not only
    very light, quick to set up and go from about 8" off the floor to over 7 feet up.
    They are also suprisingly rigid. They need no spyder as the leg angle is adjusted from the top in three spreads. I'm currently trading off using the good ole Sachtler 20II or a smaller lighter Cartoni.

TJ
    www.camera-person.com

TJ Williams
    Seattle WA USA
    206 769 8585
    RED1, 4K Sony HD (HDCam) Panasonic HD
    Operator Dp, Videographer
    Steadicam Camera Crane Aerial mount
    www.camera-person.com

I have used the cartoni gamma with my beta rig for years and it has performed very well and at half the cost of others.

Sachtler is always a fav. video 18 with carbon fiber sticks is used with
    the High def package and probably for red too although the legs are not as tall as the cartoni.

as for spreaders, floor spreaders since I find the midlevels have too short a range of motion.

I never really liked the miller heads, Always found it hard to dial the
    tilt and drag the way i wanted.

Phaz I agree the Miller heads are ehhhhh but the new last year Solo sticks are very nice. reg 75mm or 100mm ball.

As for a TRIDOD I always follow Gibby on the proper use of that well known accessory.
    TJ
    www.camera-person.com

TJ Williams
    Seattle WA USA
    206 769 8585
    RED1, 4K Sony HD (HDCam) Panasonic HD
    Operator Dp, Videographer
    Steadicam Camera Crane Aerial mount
    www.camera-person.com

I am using Manfrotto with pleasure.
    Milan Nikolic :)

10. #10 O'Connor 1030HD 
    Just had my Manfrotto stolen recently and am replacing it with an O'Connor 1030HD head on Cartoni A303 single stage CF legs that only weigh 5 lbs and are rated to handle 132 lbs of weight. We'll see if the legs can handle the tourque if I have the drag up on the head. I am not too worried because unlike almost everyone I know I like low to moderate drag - they all like it cranked way up.