Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Rules Of Conduct

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Banned
    I gotta say that while I agree with the need for rules and Jarred's seem fine and reasonable, there's no need to change anything else. There are people on the board with skill levels that can call a poster out who has eaten too much fiber and is at the same time, constipated. They can sniff 'em out.

But at the same time, there are people who come here to learn that are initially anyway, just dumb. But by hiding behind a made-up identity they feel free to ask stupid questions and from that they learn and from that they decide "I can do this!" and they buy a RED camera.

It was my understanding that when I signed up for this forum I agreed that the forum was ouned by RED Digital Cinema Camera Co. and that all the postings on it are ouned by them as well.

So if anyone disagrees with the notion that their words are subject to be changed or even RED carded off the forum, they should write a book or something where they only have to answer to an editor.

They are only words, and we are not limited to a set amount... so if some of our words dissappear, we can always write some new ones. Maybe they will stick.

OK, I can understand some people are reluctant to share too much information.

How about instead of "mandatory" it's simply "encouraged" to sign posts with as much helpful information as you are comfortable with.

Good shooting and best regards,

Leo Ticheli
    Old guy; shooting for thirty plus years
    Partner in Production Post Production Company
    Director/Cinematographer
    Southeast USA
    Two VariCams for sale

Yeah ... especially after meeting you and having to look up ... way UP!

Respectful posts are a must, if I was to post something not totally right it would be my accent foult.:innocent:

Ciao

Leo,

You and many of us already have our area listed on our profile on the left of each post we make. Perhaps the board should add a field or two on the left there that allow for job titles also?

Personally I've always put my real name, it doesn't bother me, but I like that it's a personal choice. It's also enough that Red reiterate the ground rules, and it's up to us to rise to that, or not.
    Dale McCready NZCS
    cinematographer

www.dalemccready.com
    NZCS Accredited Member www.nzcine.com
    ACS Member (NSW branch) ACS

you forgot to mention one of the great things about this place:

7. if you make a drunken rant or fubar a post beyond recognition, redusers can pm the mod and admin team and have it fixed or deleted. :)

I don't think we need the full name thing. cinematography.com does that, and it's a constant source of disruption. Plus, like others have said, a troll could just make up a name.

6. #26 Signal to Noise Ratio 
    Jarred,

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and instigating a set of fair rules that we can all abide by when posting on RedUser... your site is an incredibly valuable resource to all involved in RED based production and post-production.

However, one of the main complaints I keep hearing from professionals in the industry is the LOW Signal/Noise ratio of the site .... it's becoming increasingly difficult to find the relevant facts and useful insights that many posters have contributed to our understanding of camera operations and workflow.

I totally understand that 'freedom of speech' is an integral part of the Red Revolution and that everyone is entitled to their opinion .... long live the revolution!

Rule #5 starts to address the S/N issue but would it be possible to find some way of identifying the posts that contain mainly idle speculation and irrelevant comments from those that contain useful feedback and valuable insights? This need is particularly acute in the threads initiated by Jim, Ted and the other RED members like Graeme and yourself.

If this post is not in keeping with your Rules of Conduct or you think it is adding to the S/N issue, please delete it immediately.

Regards,
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    1. We will delete posts sometimes for any number of reasons.

2. We will not delete criticism or opinion.

3. We will delete posts that would get you punched in the nose if you were to say the same thing in the "real" world.

4. We will delete untrue posts that are slanderous, to a company or an individual.

5. Posts that are not on topic or that drift off topic, will be moved to the proper location.

6. Remember.. you are visiting our house, so above all.. please be respectful.
    Neil Smith
    CEO
    LumaForge
    high performance workflow
    www.lumaforge.com
    LA. CA. USA
    323 850 3550
    See us at NAB 2014 - AMD Booth #SL10405

Senior Member Radoslav Karapetkov's Avatar
    De acuerdo.
    EveryOne is the One...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdi View Post
    Jarred,

Thanks for stepping up to the plate and instigating a set of fair rules that we can all abide by when posting on RedUser... your site is an incredibly valuable resource to all involved in RED based production and post-production.

However, one of the main complaints I keep hearing from professionals in the industry is the high S/N ratio of the site .... it's becoming increasingly difficult to find the relevant facts and useful insights that many posters have contributed to our understanding of camera operations and workflow.

I totally understand that 'freedom of speech' is an integral part of the Red Revolution and that everyone is entitled to their opinion .... long live the revolution!

Rule #5 starts to address the S/N issue but would it be possible to find some way of identifying the posts that contain mainly idle speculation and irrelevant comments from those that contain useful feedback and valuable insights? This need is particularly acute in the threads initiated by Jim, Ted and the other RED members like Graeme and yourself.

If this post is not in keeping with your Rules of Conduct or you think it is adding to the S/N issue, please delete it immediately.

Regards,
    Neil
    Agreed. We must keep each thread a tunnel so that the ones being chuted through it will not step outside the fence and step in some manure or kick a rock over that had a gold nugget hidden beneath, or something.

Structure and order! Structure and Order! STRUCTURE AND ORDER!!!

As many request real names (I use mine, in ANY forum I've ever attended on the web, because I can still watch the mirror and smile when waking up in the morning) I'd suggest the following:

A closed user forum area for poeple who HAVE their cameras.

Then we hit to flies with one clap:

1. The real names are apparent to RED as to their sales department. Only those should have access to the closed area.

2. You have people then in that forum that own the camera and do not speculate anymore about it. They can REALLY help each other. We will not have "naysayers" anymore.

I am critic person myself, clearly. Having a closed forum for real world users with their real world names will create much more of an Community than the endlessly repeating open speculations and discussions.

I bet, once its "installed" you'll see a the osmotic effect of real world users rarely posting in the open area...

But thats just my point of view.

Axel

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Mertes View Post
    ...A closed user forum area for poeple who HAVE their cameras.
    This would exclude a very large number of people who USE the camera but don't OWN one.

I don't have a camera or a reservation but I am responsible for ordering, configuring and maintaining several of them. I also use many more from different rental houses and my job requires me to know everything I can about the camera and it's quirks.

Locking the doors wouldn't be very helpful but it would certainly kill the sense of community we have here.