Thread: Looking for TV/Film work in Auz

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Looking for TV/Film work in Auz 
    Hello fellow RedUsers,

After 10 years of working in the TV industry (Post and live) in London, i decided that it was time to take a little break a see a bit more of the world. I've been travelling around south east Asia for the last 5 months now, and am working my way south down to Australia. I've got a 1 year working visa approved for Auz (good for two 6 month jobs) and will be arriving in early October. I have vast experience in TV broadcasting and production and a wealth of knowledge in many other areas too, with Post Production being my speciality. I've worked very closely with many companies over the years, the most recent being Adobe, with Premiere being my weapon of choice!

I've also completed a Red 101 course in London (back in January) and upon my return to the UK, will look into the possibility of pursuing a career as a DIT or similar. I still have much to learn, but am extremely technically minded and have tons to offer any potential employer. If i can, i'd love to work on some RED projects to gain more knowledge about the camera and workflow. I'm honest, hard working, reliable and fun too! So, please take a look at my LinkedIn page on my signature for more information about myself and my skill set and feel free to contact me with any questions/suggestions you may have.

If you know of anything going, anyone that can point me in the right direction or even recommendations of websites that are the go to site for jobs in Auz, or the city to go to with the best chance of work, then I'm all ears! :)

Many thanks, Simon

I arrive in Melbourne tomorrow! If anyone is in need of a hand, or wants help with post-production work flows etc, then please do give me a buzz :)

Hi Simon,

Welcome to Oz! There is a fantastic Red community here and everyone looks our for each other.

There is also a tremendous amount of talent on the ground here so you might want to go into specific detail as to where you fit in, editing, compositing, grading, corporate, features, DP etc.

Again, welcome!

Senior Member Adrian Weinbrecht's Avatar
    Hey Simon

Have fun in Oz, I'm posting this for when you return back to London. I'm originally from Perth Australia but now based in London. Please get in touch with me when you get back to London. In a year or so someone with your background might well come in very useful. My background is commercial photography but for the last few years we've been doing more and more motion, just now starting to get into broadcasting.

Good luck in the land of OZ.

If you do head West to Perth, please let me know as I still have a few contacts on that side of Oz?

warmest wishes

Adrian Weinbrecht

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the kind welcome! Darwin sure is hot, can't wait to board the plan south in a few hours! TV has been my main area for 10 years, but ideally, i'd like to work more in the film arena moving forward. All my previous jobs have been either MCR, Gallery, Studio or Post based. Post-Production is probably where i fit in best though and is what I've been doing most recently. I suppose some sort of DIT role would best suit my range of skills and i'd love to do more in that area if i can. I can edit, am learning to grade, can shoot ENG, am much better on my lighting this past year, but would also love the chance to learn some more DP skills and get more hands on. Anything really :)

Hi Adrian

Perth was on my list to start with, i was going to work my way round from Darwin, through the Kimberlys and into Perth, but i blew all my 'buffer' money in Asia and need to find work quickly now! I will certainly get in touch upon my return to London. I've actually only just started really brushing up on my stills skills this year and it's of great benefit for my video work, as well as my pictures too!! The plan is to stick with Melbourne if possible, but Sydney is my backup plan. Thanks for the offer though :)

Kind regards, Simon

This turned up on our local facebook - Channel 9 Perth is looking for experienced Reporters, Camera Operators and Producers to work on The Today Show, Nine News and A Current Affair. If interested send your application to:
    Craig McPherson,
    Network Director of Development.
    Nine News and Current Affairs
    PO Box 27, Willoughby, NSW 2068

Thanks for this Robert. I did see it on a job site the other day, but it's for a full time gig and my VISA is only good for 6 month jobs max. It's ideal for picking fruit or general odd jobs whilst travelling and not really meant for what i'm looking for, but thought i'd see if anyone needed a hand for a few months. Hey ho, i'm sure something will turn up :)

Hi again folks. I'm heading over to NZ in the next few moths and was wondering if anyone knew who was running the show for Avatar? i hear it's filming from October onwards and i'd be keen to get some DIT work or similar if anything is going? Are they using PJ gear from Wingnut? Again, happy to discuss any opportunities, so if any Red users are after some help when i'm in town, then i'm all ears :)

Kind regards, Simon