Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Have the compression algorithms improved on Dragon?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Have the compression algorithms improved on Dragon? 
    Banned
    Looking at Mark's tests, it would seem that they have.

My understanding is that because of the new color science, etc. compression artifacts are reduced. But I'm sure some code had to be rewritten in order to accommodate the substantially larger data pipeline required for 6k(?).
    Epic-M Dragon #1271

Yeh it has been stated a few times that the increased signal to noise ratio and lower noise floor helps the compression a lot. I'm truly shocked at the detail in the 17:1 shots, especially the last shot with the water breaking in black and white. Just incredible. I'm pumped to see some R3D's to see if its as good as it looks.

Its weird I noticed a lot more noise in the stills that Mark posted compared to the footage. It make me wonder if Mark ran the footage through some noise reduction or if the noise being so small just got lost in the h.264 compression, Or was it the Jpeg compression from the photos that introduced noise that wasn't actually there...could be a lot of things.

All around I can't wait to get my hands on one
    J.H.C Epic-X #03520 (Sherry Baby)
    http://Coleman-Media.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Coleman View Post
    Yeh it has been stated a few times that the increased signal to noise ratio and lower noise floor helps the compression a lot. I'm truly shocked at the detail in the 17:1 shots, especially the last shot with the water breaking in black and white. Just incredible. I'm pumped to see some R3D's to see if its as good as it looks.

Its weird I noticed a lot more noise in the stills that Mark posted compared to the footage. It make me wonder if Mark ran the footage through some noise reduction or if the noise being so small just got lost in the h.264 compression, Or was it the Jpeg compression from the photos that introduced noise that wasn't actually there...could be a lot of things.

When we get our hands on TIFFs we'll know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruffo New View Post
    Looking at Mark's tests, it would seem that they have.
    Doubtful, the compression per pixel stays the same but there are more pixels so it's a higher bitrate for the same ratio and you are still watching it on the same size 1080p screen. 6k 17:1 is still ~40MBps which is about the same as 4k 8:1 which looks more than fine for 1080p delivery... Now if you were to look pixel for pixel you might see a different story, but 1:1 pixel magnification is a higher magnification for 6k than for 4k for the same delivery size...

The algorithm seems to be the same but likely does compress a bit more efficiently due to lower noise levels.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

Just guessing that the R3D algorithm may have been tweaked as no software will run Dragon footage without a rewrite or a plugin?
    Tom Gleeson

I wouldn't be surprised if they tweaked things a touch, but as I understand it is at least mostly because the bigger the image the more efficient their math gets. It makes perfect sense. So file size is not linear with respect to resolution.
    Writer - Director
    Crowing Lakes.com

Uncompressed would be rad for the big shows.

RED/Jim has said that because the larger Signal to Noise ratio and improved noise floor that 12:1 is equivalent to 6:1 or 8:1 or something like that...

... in any case, yes, it has been improved. I mean, shit, 20mp instead of 14mp is a substantial difference (almost 33%).

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Coleman View Post

the stills are always noisier. Do a test in rcx. I think it's because r3d is compression designed for motion and not stills. The Mx at 800 in tungsten produces noisy stills but when it moves it looks good.
    Eric
    cinematographer
    www.ericjhaase.com