Thread: How To Get Ready For Dragon Post Workflow

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 How To Get Ready For Dragon Post Workflow 
    We just got our Epic MX and ready to upgrade it to Dragon. So while we haven't yet purchased the post side of things, we figured we should make it as dragon-friendly as possible. Our plan is to basically wait for the new Mac Pro and use it with the Rocket-x. My question is, what else should we consider for dragon that's different than for MX? Or is all the same since there are no 5k viewing options?
    Manfred Lopez
    Director - Writer

BIO - IMDB

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Lopez View Post
    We just got our Epic MX and ready to upgrade it to Dragon. So while we haven't yet purchased the post side of things, we figured we should make it as dragon-friendly as possible. Our plan is to basically wait for the new Mac Pro and use it with the Rocket-x. My question is, what else should we consider for dragon that's different than for MX? Or is all the same since there are no 5k viewing options?
    A lot more storage. And a few hopes that the new Rocket will work in a Thunderbolt expansion chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by Manfred Lopez View Post
    Or is all the same since there are no 5k viewing options?
    Are there plans now in the works for the 5K displays?:-)
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by M Most View Post
    And a few hopes that the new Rocket will work in a Thunderbolt expansion chassis.
    Yes, it will work. Working on such a product as we speak - and I am sure we are not alone...

Quote Originally Posted by jake blackstone View Post
    Are there plans now in the works for the 5K displays?:-)
    Apple new line of Cinema Displays to be released alongside the new Mac Pro will have resolution 5K or greater.
    Having said that - you only need to preview your images at the delivery size - which for the foreseeable future is either 4K or UHD (I hate how even giants like SONY get these two mixed up - advertising 3840x2160 products as 4K instead of UHD)...

Definitely agree on adding more high-performance/capacity storage. Fortunately the manufacturers are starting to deliver larger RAID enclosure based around TB interface (like MAXX DIGITAL for example).
    This should only get better once the new Mac Pro actually ships. I know of several major TB products planed to be launched in sync with the Mac Pro...

Peter
    You don't need eyes to see, You need a vision!
    www.petermajtan.com - www.derylgroup.com

Advance planning is commendable but wait as long as you can to purchase hardware - it gets better and cheaper every month.

For larger multi-user post environments I suggest you hire out the system config and installation.

For a smaller Mac based shop I highly recommend Thunderbolt everything. There are hubs out there to interface with eSATA/USB3/FW800/etc when needed. Depending on when the new MacPro ships there might be a decent assortment of TB2 compliant peripherals available. TB1 is pretty fast, but for expansion PCIe bus hosting and storage I/O, TB2 is worth waiting for. It's just really sad that Falcon Ridge isn't PCIe3.0 savvy.

Just my 2 bytes.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    Apple new line of Cinema Displays to be released alongside the new Mac Pro will have resolution 5K or greater.
    Where are you getting this information? There hasn't been a single public announcement or leak to my knowledge. I'd love to know if this is true...

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Majtan View Post
    Really?!? Wow. i didn't know that. We will definitely wait until september/october to see how all this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    Advance planning is commendable but wait as long as you can to purchase hardware...

For a smaller Mac based shop I highly recommend Thunderbolt everything.
    I think your advise is very good to wait until TB2. We have a feature film coming up. But I think we will wing it with just a 27" iMac with g-techs until then.
    Manfred Lopez
    Director - Writer

BIO - IMDB

Its all rumor based on the pixel dimensions of Maverick's wallpaper.

As long as its at least UHD 3840 x 2160 I'll be happy :-)

Cheers - #19

Senior Member Robert L. Mickles's Avatar
    You gotta figure if a Retina Display is about 300ppi (or dpi however you wanna look at it), then it would have to be at least 4K, likely over for a 30" Apple display.
    Robert L. Mickles
    Cinematographer, Director, Editor | 360 Digital Studios, LLC | http://www.360DigitalStudios.com
    DSMC2 Helium 8K #3949 "Raines", Former owner of Scarlet-X #2133 "Cupid".
    'OFF-TIME' Feature Film Coming Soon! http://www.Facebook.com/OFFTIMEMovie
    http://Twitter.com/OFFTIMEmovie

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post

For larger multi-user post environments I suggest you hire out the system config and installation.
    Hey Blair, do you have any recommendations? I may be in need of a referral for an off/online office build soon (LA area) -- lot of material originating on EPIC, but also a litany of other sources, for a broadcast deliverable. Thanks in advance.

Eryc
    Many filmmakers had an idea of what they wanted their dream digital motion picture camera to be. But only one of us had the talent, insight, capital and most importantly -- the guts to make it a reality. The EPIC needed a perfect balance of desire, aptitude, resolve, teamwork and finance to arrive; it is a dream manifest.

Complaining about the EPIC is like kvetching about a space elevator, when everyone else is flying kites at Kitty Hawk.