Thread: ODEMAX in the fall?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    The current shipping model is a labeled as a "Professional 4K Cinema Player". Although, I'm not expecting a "dumbed-down" or "consumer" version at this point. What would they take away?
    External antenna, multiple lights, 4-5 hdmi ports, 1 ethernet jack, esata port, gpi port, hard drive, metal case, grounded power input. People who want/need caching can use a cheap 128 GB SD card or a usb hard drive. Dual band wifi would also make sense since less consumers have an ethernet jack at their TV. It wouldn't make sense to release it before HDMI 2.0 is out though.

At the risk of disagreeing with Jeff, I do expect a more affordable consumer targeted RedRay-ish device once HDMI 2.0 is readily available - IF - the marketplace for such a device catalyzes.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    At the risk of disagreeing with Jeff, I do expect a more affordable consumer targeted RedRay-ish device once HDMI 2.0 is readily available - IF - the marketplace for such a device catalyzes.

Cheers - #19
    Disagreeing with Jeff is normally a no-win situation. But the solution would be to agree with me and Alex, thus avoiding that trap. '-)
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Red is showing at Cedia in Denver late September. That's the big consumer HT show for resellers and installers though many many consumers crash the show. so what will Red be showing along with Odemax who I expect will occupy a portion of the Red booth? A dumbed down Redray and I bet a consumer 4K projector lit by a laser lit white phosphor taking the place of a conventional bulb. From there a 3 chip LCOS liight engine. Oh yea, a Redray built into the projector.
    Last edited by mark haflich; 07-15-2013 at 01:12 PM.

How RED approaches CEDIA could be an interesting "tell" in terms of where they see themselves potentially fitting into the delivery space. There is a quality obsessed segment of the home theater (HT) crowd that might really embrace RedRay and/or a Red projector. With a decent warrantee and assuming good reviews in the trades, the HT folks could build welcome RedRay buzz.

Cheers - #19

No way will the consumer market buy into a $1750 4K player without popular content being available Add that and high mbs and the high end of the market might buy in.

The HT market is a unique segment of the consumer market and within it there are some folks who will fork over a couple of grand on a high end source device. How many RedRays get sold to HT aficionados after the first few hundred may indeed be highly dependent on the content portfolio and real world IP download experiences, but I foresee a lot of enthusiastic testers in the near term. What Apple does next could change all of this rather rapidly...

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
    No way will the consumer market buy into a $1750 4K player without popular content being available Add that and high mbs and the high end of the market might buy in.
    If the content is there, people will buy it. Onkyo, Marantz, Denon and others are selling high-end BluRay players that still cost more than a REDRAY player. Some of them double! As Blair says, there is a high-quality niche in the HT market. People will pay $3500 for a BluRay player because it has "the best" image processing and output quality as well as "the best" audio processing.

As for CEDIA, Denver is my home town and I'll be there to check it out.

At some point I do expect REDRAY to reach a broader market consumer-friendly price point. What I said a few posts back, questioning what RED could take out of the current player to make it more affordable, still stands. Yeah, there were examples given of various things and it's all superficial stuff that may lower the end consumer cost by maybe $60 at the most. The real cost in the player is the custom ASICs and high throughput of the internal components and pathways. RED could probably cut the cost of the player in half or less if they dumbed it down to 1080p only. They could cut the cost of the player if they built it out of off-the-shelf components, using an established off-the-shelf codec as Sony has done with their player. And their player is still $600.

Ultimately, what will drive down the cost of REDRAY is adoption by the market. When HDMI 2.0 does ship, I expect REDRAY to be updated to include it. Those of us with current units will have the option to upgrade. And there's a good bet that newer units will be cheaper. I really don't see RED putting out a cheapened up consumer version of this. Because if they were to put it in a thin steel and plastic shell, use an ungrounded power supply, eliminate the extra HDMI ports, eliminate the WiFi antenna, etc.. It won't make the player much less expensive, it would just make it cheap.

I still think REDRAY has a huge uphill battle ahead. It's a concept that most resembles ROKU, if it were on a massive regimen of growth hormone and steroids. Not only will ROKU be putting up a 4K offering within the next year, but there are plenty of other boxes coming out to contend with. Look at what the XBOX One can do. It's a $600 box and Microsoft still has to subsidize it with software sales and unless they ship 3 million XBOX One consoles, the product is a bust. REDRAY can't operate off a model like that. Not yet.

Original BluRay players were $999. And that's after Sony subsidized them with media sales and format licensing. They were originally going to launch at $1500, but Sony had to go for the throat in their campaign against HD-DVD. This had to cost huge money up front. It of course paid off in the end. By comparison, RED is still a very small player and isn't really in a position to make a move like that. At least not at this time, there has to be content available and ways to get people interested.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Jeff,

Could this be a push by Red(ray) to get 4k into the homes faster pushing sony, msft, others to come out with 4k boxes sooner then might have w/o RR? Like some have said about Red Primes? Leading by pushing?

Well, after much thought, I ordered one. Key here is distribution and also the spliter capabilities of the player. It allows for us to use "current" less expensive technology to showcase 4K and its another tool that, in the bigger scheme of things, is relatively inexpensive.

Don't know when mine will arrive but am looking forward to it!
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber