Thread: Is 3D dying

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Is 3D dying 
    Yes, 3D is back on the storage shelf again, thanks to total ignorance of stereoscopic vision rules. Why would anyone adopt something that distorts reality and is in conflict with human brain? Would you adopt continuously distorted sound or pictures which always have false color? 3D producers quickly make up an excuse saying that 3D is an art tool and every movie is or must be an artistic and unreal to catch an interest of general audience. Well now you got it. Consumers cannot be fulled when it comes to realistic 3D content. Naturally they rejected as it confuses their size and depth perception ability making the experience of 3D movie watching, annoying. Realistic 3D content on the other hand is viral and addictive. Anyone who has experience realistic 3D content is hooked up for life. Unfortunately realistic 3D content can only be seen in small circles of 3D enthusiasts who know how to produce it an have custom 3D viewing systems which allow realistic 3D viewing. What's left of the 3D boom of the 2010 is the 3D equipment which will some little custom work can be adopted to produce and display realistic 3D content. Yes, it is a small market but unlike the gimmick 3D, realistic 3D will never die. http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...dy-finds-60996

It's already dead to me...

I don't even bother going to a 3D film anymore. My kids also have had enough. Cheaper ticket, same movie without the darkness and the headache. :) WIN WIN.
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

Answer to the thread heading ................Yep !

"Is" makes me think it's still alive, just not all the way dead. I think it might be totally dead. Just read yesterday that ESPN3D is going off the air soon, citing lack of consumer interest and, consequently, inability to attract advertisers.
    Michael "Strawberry" Romano
    ICG Local 600 DIT | Honolulu, Hawaii
    Mobile: 239-218-4452
    michael@strawberrycolor.com
    http://www.strawberrycolor.com/
    http://www.sightandsoundhawaii.com/

**PLEASE USE MY EMAIL, NOT PM's IF YOU NEED TO TALK TO ME**

I hope so.

Most films would be better of if they spent that extra money on story writers / better plots and things like it. Even the heavy VFX films I think benefit heavily from not being done in cumbersome 3D. The "3D experience" is also very much limiting the camera work, the set designs and pretty much everything if the 3d should look good. So to me there is pretty much not a single film that actually benefit from being done in 3D.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

I am not a fan of 3D. Having said that there are financial/International distribution issues involved. Planet of the Apes is shooting natively. Jurrasic 4 will be native.
    The project I am working on here in Hong Kong is partially native. All for the foreign theater deal. China is a hard nut to crack and studios have to do what they can to insure markets.

ESPN just recently announced they will cease all 3D acquisition for sports by the end of this year, just fulfilling current obligations.

Most of my work is corporate and when 3D recently had its revival, many of my bigger clients expressed interest in shooting 3D, but the logistics never worked. Wasn't worth the extra expense, extra time, extra issues with presenting it. I can tell you this though, when the day comes where the technology lets us see truly 3D projected images without the need for special eyewear and primary determined viewing positions, it's going to take off. We're several years, if not decades, away from that at this point. The no-glasses 3D demo at NAB this year was a joke. There were some pretty big names attached to that and I'm absolutely shocked that some of those people would have let their name go anywhere near that stuff. We have a long way for the technology to progress...
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    I hope so.

Most films would be better of if they spent that extra money on story writers / better plots and things like it. Even the heavy VFX films I think benefit heavily from not being done in cumbersome 3D. The "3D experience" is also very much limiting the camera work, the set designs and pretty much everything if the 3d should look good. So to me there is pretty much not a single film that actually benefit from being done in 3D.
    Couldn't agree more
    Mark Toia
    Director / DP / Founder of Zoom Film & Television

www.toia.com

www.zoomfilmtv.com.au

3D was always just a way for the studios to force cinemas to dump film and go digital. Now digital screens are reaching significantly high numbers there's no need for the studios to keep spending all that money of 3D production. They'll let it die a natural death over the next few years IMHO.
    Cheers
    Bettsy

Unless there is some biological change were people are turning into cyclopses, 3D will not die. It is just a long road to get to 96 fps at 8k resolution, and I think RED is on that journey.